hot summer nights

- Slowtown Imagine -
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"But I still love to wash in your old bathwater, love to think that you couldn't love another..." Alex sang along quietly to the song that played on the radio, lightening the mood around the small studio apartment. She squinted at the playing cards laid out before her as the shower turned off in the other room, the water slowly trickling to a stop. There was a fan settled atop the table she sat in front of, on the floor cross legged with the couch at her back, and it cooled her skin, even with the terrible summer heat surrounding her. The windows had all been opened, but that didn't seem to help at all.

What sounded like a crash came from the bathroom and she rolled her eyes. Not a moment later, Sam came tumbling out into the hall, with spikey, wet hair and wearing nothing but a pair of sweatpants that were rolled up to his knees.

"I... uh... totally didn't break anything."

"Is that so?" she smiled, shaking her head and sitting back, looking up at him. "So what, did you slip again?"

"It's not my fault! The shower still leaks!" he defended himself, sitting down on the couch while rubbing his side. "We've got to get that fixed."

"We'll add it to the list."

He nodded and watched her play some type of game against herself with curiosity. "Jeesh... sure is a hot one tonight, huh?" he commented, already feeling the heat settle on his skin.

"You can say that again. This damn building needs to get air conditioning." She fanned herself with her hand. "I can't wait until we're out of this place."

"You said that two years ago at the orphanage," he grinned, folding his hands behind his head and reclining.

"What can I say, I like to keep moving," she shrugged. "We're we going to try to do dinner tonight or...?"

"We don't have anything?"

"See for yourself," she gestured to the tiny kitchen that made up the other half of the living room.

Sam sighed and got up, going over to the refrigerator and opening it to find three half empty bottles of Gatorade, a carton of milk which could very well be expired, a jar of sweet pickles, and two individually wrapped slices of cheese. "Do we have bread?" he asked her.

"Check the cabinet."

He did, finding a package of sliced wheat bread that was only a few days passed the expiration date. There were a few cans of things too.

"Alright... what about grilled cheese and pickles?" he suggested, already getting out the bread and cheese and jar of pickles.

"Sounds delicious," she chuckled and joined him in the kitchen, tossing a match onto a burner and putting a pan over it.

"So... um... remember that job I told you about?" he asked, throwing a piece of bread onto the pan, followed by a slice of cheese, and more bread. He only got to her Alex's nod out of the corner of his eye. "Well... some things about it have been... changed."

"Changed?" she repeated. "In what way exactly?" Sam was quiet for a moment, scratching the back of his head nervously as he took out a blue energy drink from the refrigerator. "Sam?"