Mysterious Man

It's 1:15 a.m. Rita, Aunt Veronica and I are sitting out on the balcony of Aunt Marie and Uncle Anthony's beach house. It's nice outside, pretty breathtaking in fact. We have a beautiful view of the bay from up here.

About a month ago Aunt Veronica and Aunt Marie planned this trip. They decided to invite me, considering Aunt Veronicas daughter Rita and I hangout 24/7. I guess they figured I could keep Rita company, enjoy myself and spend time with Aunt Marie and Uncle Anthony considering I never get to see them and barely know them. All I know is Little Egg Harbor definitely beats Bensalem, or any part of Pennsylvania at that.

Rita is on her laptop making animal versions of herself.

"Ivy, do you want to make a dog version of your ideal boyfriend?"

It's funny because I have no idea what my ideal boyfriend would be like let alone a dog version of him.

"Eh, not right now man. I'm just relaxing right now."

Honestly I have really bad stomach pains right now, don't know why. I take another puff of my cigarette as Rita and her mom begin to create their animals. I think they are making rats now. Alt-J began playing from Rita's laptop playlist. I don't know what it is about this group that makes me love them so much. Maybe it's because they are nothing ordinary. They make me feel beautiful, as if I am becoming one with the wind.

We arrived here about 2 hours ago and ever since I have been thinking. I've been wondering if its possible to meet a guy down here. Silly thoughts I have, I just always have this odd hope that comes over me when I'm in new places or places I rarely go. I think this way because with new places comes new opportunities.

Uncle Anthony is coming to the sliding glass door now.

"I am going to bed, you guys need anything before I go?"

Rita replies with "No, I think we're fine."

Uncle Anthony looks towards me "Ivy?"

"I'm good, thanks"

"okay guys goodnight" he left with a smile. He seems like such a happy man. He's always smiling and very generous.

Rita comments "I want to stay out here all night." she gestures towards her mom. "you down for that?"

Aunt Veronica lets out a chuckle "No, I can't I need to lay down."

Rita looks disappointed, but she understands. As Rita and her mom finish up their computer generated animals, I begin to stare out into the distance. There are more homes lining the other side of the bay. I noticed music was playing, it wasn't our music though. It sounds smooth almost like a daytime lullaby. Something soothing that has the benefit of keeping you interested and never enabling tiredness. I look into the direction in which I hear the noise. I noticed a flickering light, looks like a bonfire of some sort. You would figure some kind of late night gathering is going on over there filled with laughter or some old friends catching up. Although it's not. All I see is one man sitting there alone sipping a bottle. He looks lonely but content at the same time. He is too far away to notice his features but he seems attractive. It could also simply be my mind wanting to believe that he is attractive, but what do I know. In my heart I want to walk over there and comfort him and say "Hi", but that's completely idiotic of me considering the time, he's a stranger and I can't just walk across the bay. I mean maybe if I were Criss Angel I could, but obviously I'm not. I light another cigarette and I look back over towards him. I can almost swear to God he is starring directly into my eyes now. Given the darkness and distance it's highly unlikely, but again it really does seem like he is. I sharply looked away breaking the possible eye contact we were sharing. Aunt Veronica was gone.

"Did she go to bed?" I questioned Rita.

"Um, yeah. You didn't hear her say goodnight? she's left a good 20 minutes ago now."

I've been fantasizing and starring at some strange man across the water for 20 minutes or more? I must seem like a real disrespecful mental case right now.

" No, I guess I didn't. I lost time for a minute there. I was day dreaming"

Rita looked confused "Oh... alright then."

I need to stop being so absent with people. I'm on vacation for Christ's sake. Normally sure, I daydream and people catch me in deep thought. Although that's only because I have nothing better to do with myself usually.

I thought back to him. The mysterious guy from across the bay. I take a look, expecting to see him sitting there. Except instead the fire was snuffed and the bottle was sitting there on the ground empty. He was no where to be seen. Did I disappoint this guy with looking away when we were starring at each other? No, I couldn't have. What a ridiculous accusation. He probably just headed to bed. On the other hand my accusation could very well be true.

I decided to see if anyone else noticed him. Aunt Veronica was sound asleep, so it's up to Rita to inform me.

"Hey, did you see that man having the bonfire across the bay?" I'm hoping she says yes.

"Oh your actually going to talk to me now?" she asked sarcastically

"Come on man, I need to know. Sorry if I'm out of it. I just need time to adjust, but did you see him or no?"

"You mean that guy with the cheek bones who's always drinking and smoking?" Rita asked

"Um, I guess. If he's the one who lives over there then yes." I pointed to the house without looking.

"I didn't see him tonight, I was busy deleting photos from my computer, but I see him every time I come down here. Why?"

"I don't know he just seems like a sad guy. I felt like he was starring at me, I probably sound crazy. In fact I know he was."

Rita looked amused. "You're lucky then. He is pretty much the loner of Little Egg."

"He's cute" I blurted out

She laughed really loud. "I mean I guess. Not my taste, he would look better if his hair was longer. He also looks like an older guy so..."

"He reminds me of that guy from the tv show Hannibal. Of course he can't be him but..."

Rita cut me off "Holy shit man, I never noticed until you said that. Dude what if he is?"

I starred at her with deep eyes. Did I just see Mads Mikkelsen?