Chapter 24

"Four people were killed, including two police officers, and two others are in critical condition today after a man at a bar in East Harlem started to attack patrons. Police were called onto the scene just after 6 pm yesterday with reporters stating that the man ran out of the bar's bathroom and began physically assaulting people without known cause. Eyewitnesses have stated that the man appeared to be deranged and angry. Denice Earl is at the scene right now while officials continue to investigate this peculiar incident. Denice, could you tell us more?" The TV screen changed from a view of the male news anchor for Channel 6 news to the female news anchor who was standing in front of a big police investigation around a... familiar building.

My mouth dropped and my eyes grew as I stared back at the screen of the television. I kept breathing "Oh, shit." over and over to myself as I watched everything unfold from my seat in the living room. I had hoped that the day after last night's events would be more peaceful and thought that watching some television would take my mind off of some things but it did just the opposite. I started to get an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"Yes, Hank. I'm at McNeil's Pub and Grill right now which has closed since the incident- as you can see there's yellow tape. The police have told me that the man was acting so disturbed that they were forced to open fire on him. Several rounds of bullets hit the man but oddly enough, but he continued behaving irrationally and was unperturbed by any of the shots and appeared to- get this- not to be injured at all. Hank, I spoke to one policeman and he told me that in the 15 years that he had been working for NYPD, never had he seen something like what I have just described to you."

I felt like I was on the brink of going into shock. It had to be, without a doubt, the same man that I had dealt with the day before. I couldn't believe that he wasn't dead; his pulse had stopped completely, so I thought it was safe to pronounce him dead. The fact that I caused something like this- contributed to people getting killed and injured was beyond troubling.

"So they were unable to subdue this man, Denice?" The male news anchor asked as they split-screen the two camera shots of the two news anchors.

"That's unfortunately correct, Hank." She said after a sighed. Her hand moved to the side, directing the cameraman to zoom into crime investigators setting up evidence markers and securing yellow tape as well as police officers speaking with each other. "The man escaped, going north on 3rd Avenue. K-9 units, officers on foot and in vehicles were sent in pursuit of this man. Helicopters were flowed over to survey the area. Traffic was stopped on 3rd Avenue and parts of East 115th to 118th Street and redirected. Still, they could not locate the man at all. Within about 2 minutes, it was said that he had completely disappeared with no trace, possibly going into the subway system." Denice looked almost as shocked as me. "People are advised to stay in their homes around this area unless leaving them is absolutely necessary as well as securing their homes at all times. A curfew will be enforced even more so children that are under 18 must be inside before 9 pm."

My hands were tugging on my hair as I watched this. The whole city was probably going to go up in flames knowing that this guy was on the loose somewhere.

"What a terrible thing. Unbelievable that he got away so quickly."

"Yes, indeed it is." Denice turned to her left and the camera shot zoomed out to show a girl who looked to be in her early twenties, looking nothing but distressed as she stood next to news anchorwoman. "I'm here now with a young woman who was in the bar at the time. -Could you tell us what you saw, miss?"

The caption at the bottom labelled her as:
Kiera Wortham
Eyewitness

"Oh my God. I- One minute I just- I was just at the counter. My boyfriend was next to me- we were on a date. You know- this guy just comes out of nowhere and... I've never- He just jumped on this man sitting down at one of the tables and started attacking him, biting his neck like a rabid dog. Everyone started screaming and running out of the place. It was- It was the scariest thing I've ever seen in my life. It looked like it was something out of a horror film. I don't know if he was on drugs or something but I've never ever seen something like that. He wasn't acting like... a person. I- I can't... even begin to describe how horrific it was. The images are still in my head. I just thank God that me and my boyfriend are okay."