Chapter 5: The Monstrel Mash

[A/N] "Picture is art from the Monster Musume series"

The odd pair consisting of Fumetsu and Mizore casually walk towards Mizore's dorm as the sun begins to set, darkening the already eerie landscape. "How are you doing?" Fu asks the petite girl next to him with genuine concern in his voice. The Yuki-Onna meets his gaze, looking up to see his endless gaze before blushing slightly. "I'm okay..." she mutters quietly, turning her head away from him.

The boy smiles, bringing the redness in Mizore's cheeks out further. "Hm? Are you sure you're alright? You look really red." Fu places his hand on Mizore's forehead in an attempt to check her temperature, only resulting in her heating up even more. "Aren't you a Yuki-Onna? Is it safe for you to be this hot?" The boy says, worrying about his friend. "I'm fine. I can cool myself down later..." Fu relents in his questioning and motions to move his hand away from the girl, only for her to grab ahold of it and keep it there for a few more moments.

After a short, awkward silence, Mizore finally lets her friend's hand go, allowing him to remove it from her head. "A-alright then..." Fu manages to stutter out, confused by Mizore's actions. The rest of their trip towards Mizore's dorm is filled with another awkward silence. The two stare at each other from either side of the doorway, with Mizore being the one to break the silence. "The Love letter...Are you going?" Fu sighs in response to the ice girl's question. "Yeah." Fu's one word answer brings suspicion to Mizore's mind but she quickly dismisses it.

She attempts to close the door but stops when Fu turns and mutters quietly under his breath. "The abandoned dorm huh? Pretty crappy place for a confession...not bad for an ambush though." The boy quickly realised that he spoke out loud and turns to check if Mizore heard, only to be met with the closed door. He sighs in relief as he makes his way down the stairs and towards the meeting place.

At the abandoned dorm, as Katta quietly waits for any news of his targets arrival, he hears a light knock on his door. Getting up and opening it, he's greeted by the figure of Nanako. "Hm? Was there something you needed?" He asks the dark skinned girl with feigned interest "uhh, I was thinking...how'd you know how to write that letter thing before?" The small girl's question catches the boy by surprise. "What?" Is all that escapes his mouth. "You just don't look like the type." She states her opinion bluntly, however Katta simply laughs it off with a small chuckle.

The boy places his hand on her shoulder in a friendly manner before replying. "Just goes to show, you don't judge a book by its' cover." The girl nods her head in understanding before another boy with ratty, grey hair and small black eyes interrupts them. "He's here!" He loudly squeaks out, informing his 'friend' of Fu's arrival. "Good. Everyone, get ready!" He shouts out to the shadows before smiling wickedly. "You too, Nanako. Wouldn't want him to notice the trap too early." The petite girl's eyes widen in realisation.

Outside, the target of their little trap casually strolls towards the large, decrepit, foreboding building. The wooden beams creak in the night wind, threatening to fall with a moments notice. Any part made with stone is either cracked beyond repair or covered in a thick, green moss. "A fixer-upper huh?" Fu states to no-one in particular, laughing softly for a moment before shrugging and knocking on the door.

With no reply, the boy's brow raises in a mix of suspicion and bemusement. "C-Come in!" The female voice calls out nervously from behind the door. In response, the boy twists the nob and lightly pushes the door open, revealing the dark skinned girl with silver hair and dark brown eyes standing in front of the rickety staircase. "So, you're N?" The girl blinks a few times before her blank expression turns to one of realisation. "Nanako. My name's Nanako. About-" the girl is interrupted when Fu raises his hand, signalling for her to stop.