Chapter 14

Even though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.

The Space Port was quieter than normal today. Except for critical personnel, the full compliment had gathered into a large assembly chamber on the top deck, and on this deck Angie and her crew stood at attention near a podium while General Wilson marched in. Marty had a cane to steady his sore leg and Jean-Michel was in a wheel chair, but the rest stood proudly.

“Before we start,” General Wilson said. “We will have a period of silence for Brad Wilson and his crew: Yergi Karchenkov and Jeremy Anston, who paid the ultimate sacrifice in the defense of our planet.”

Marty swallowed hard. Angie gave him a consoling glance, but it did little to assuage the terrible hurt in his soul. He had known Brad for a long time, both in the military and during his stint in NASA. If proof were needed that Earth was in a war, this was it.

“And, now,” Wilson said. “It is my distinct pleasure to award the crew of the X-3002 Distinguished Service Crosses for their action in diverting the alien weapon. Everyone on the planet Earth owes them their very life.”

The General also gave Marty and Jean-Michel purple hearts. A lot of French people took pride in the selfless sacrifice of their countryman. In fact, many different peoples on Earth had something to be proud of. This was truly an international crew, and they had saved Earth from certain destruction. Again.

Everyone clapped and cheered. Brian Scott came forward to shake Marty’s hand. “Heroes, one and all.” He grinned as he shook Angie’s hand and the hands of several other crewmembers.

“You’ll have something to tell your grandchildren,” Brian said, still grinning.

I’ll have to find them first, Marty thought.

“I see that they’ve given you the X-3001,” Marty said. “Congratulations.”

“Thank you. I just hope that I can live up to your high standards.”

Marty gave him a sheepish smile. “Oh, we were just doing what we had to under the circumstances.”

“Don’t give me that. I don’t know if I would have taken that alien weapon into my hangar like you did. It was a very reckless move, but it worked, thank goodness.”

Marty shrugged while he continued to smile.

“Well, I’ve got to go,” Brian said. “We’re going out on the twenty-fourth.”

Marty shook hands with him. “Good luck.”

“I’ll need it,” he said before he saluted and strutted off.

###

Angie was uncertain as to where the Medical facilities were located on the Space Port. She knew that they were on Deck 5, but she had never ventured there before now. When she entered the main door, a nurse’s aide greeted her.

“I’m looking for Martin Sinclair.”

The nurse’s aide smiled and pointed. “He’s down the corridor three doors on the left.”

When she turned the corner into the treatment station, she found Marty sitting on a bench near a water bath with nothing more than a towel around his middle. The smile on her face elicited a bigger smile on his face.

“You’re out of uniform, Lieutenant Commander.”

He laughed. “Is that my new rank now?”

“Actually, you could have made Commander and took control of your own ship, but I need you.”

He laughed. “I thank you, Commander. I have no desire to take command of a ship. I’m very good at being a pilot and shooting stuff, but I’m no good at telling people what to do.”