» saturday

"Do you believe in life after death?"

My eyes were overcome with an obsidian sky, illuminated by countless stars that were no longer concealed by the clouds that had overstayed their welcome. The crescent moon hung in the corner of the tableau, much like an ornament, illuminating the skies for just the two of us—at least, that's what I liked to believe.

The sea sang to us as it kissed the shore, whistling and waling to the wispy winds as they danced in the sky. I'd always dreamed of spending a night on a beach and falling asleep to nothing but the sound of waves crashing against sand, and lately I'd found many of my dreams creeping their way into the reality that never before was so vicarious. 

Max was beside me, his arms folded behind his neck to cushion his head. He watched the stars with me as they vied for his attention, pink lips parted just the littlest bit. I was close enough to him that my hair, as it was spread out onto the beach towel, was touching his own, and our breathing always did fall into one rhythm. 

He gave the question some thought, then turned his body towards me. He used his right elbow to prop his head up, his hand resting against his chin as his eyes met mine.

"I believe..." His fingers played with the end of my hair, taking it between his fingers. "I believe that there is some type of life after death. Otherwise, what is the purpose of life?"

His words were deliberate, careful. He knew why I was asking. I was leaving tomorrow. And I didn't want any of this to end. The night could have been infinite and I would've have been content.

I nodded in agreement. "In this second life, will you wait for me? Whether it's a day after, or many years?"

My words were spoken mindlessly.

Max took my hand in his and traced circles into my palm, a storm brewing in his eyes, his lips gracing a lopsided grin. 

"I would be mad not to."

I smiled. "And if I get there first, I promise I'll wait for you."

Silence ensued as we were engulfed into the night, hands intertwined. Our minds were lost in their own worlds, yet they were somehow entangled in the same thoughts. The ocean's screams grew louder, but they were deafened by the wailing of our effervescent hearts.

"Can I ask you something?" I raised my eyebrows, finally deciding to ask him something I'd been wondering about for days. He nodded, his expression curious. 

"How did you find me again? In the plaza, I mean. The day we went to the Colosseum."

Max chuckled, giving me a knowing look.

"I stayed at the plaza all day, hoping I would see you at the tour stands again."

My eyes widened. "All day?" 

He nodded, and I found myself wanting to ask him everything I'd ever wondered about. 

"Why? What did you see in me?"

"I liked that you did not treat me differently when I said that I was dying. It was refreshing. And your eyes. I really, really like your eyes."

I was happy that the darkness was there to conceal my reddened cheeks. Butterflies erupted in my stomach, and at the same time, I felt inexplicably sad. We stayed quiet. Consumed in a comfortable silence. The memories of the past few days flooded my mind, and I wanted to relive every single one of them. He spent his limited days with me, and that was not to be taken lightly. As I thought about him and only him, an idea came to mind. 

I sat up and scooted to the end of the beach towel, and put my hands onto the cold sand. My eyes searched for a water bottle nearby and once I found it, I poured some water into my hands.