The Stage: Alex

I sit here laying on my bed, wishing I had something to do today so I wasn't stuck with my father tonight. I have spent the last week with him in this hotel room. The only thing is he won't let me leave unless I have legitimate plans with someone so he knows that I won't be getting in any trouble. I am 21 years old but I still have to listen to what my dad tells me to do. You may be asking yourself why, it's because he controls my bank account.

He is a very wealthy businessman who has is own company. If I'm lucky when he dies I will get to take over the family company but that's why he controls me. It's so that I can keep A good image with the press. If the press ever know that I screw up in even my personal life it could make a huge impact on the business.

Anyways, I just want to go hangout with my friends for one night. So I go over to the other room of the huge hotel we are staying at and walk up to my father. "Father, I'm going to go out with my friends tonight and you can't stop me. I have been here a whole week and haven't even gotten a glimpse of them or the city."

"Where will you and these so called friends be going?"

"Well we would being going to a bar, BUT we will not be going for the alcohol it's for the open mic to see some people perform." I rush out the last sentence so my father doesn't think that the only reason I'm going is for the alcohol.

"I suppose that is fine but just don't get drunk. You make very stupid decisions when you are drunk."

"Thank You, sir"

I rush out of the room before my father can change his mind. Sometimes I feel like I'm still in highschool asking my father for permission to go on a date. It's so embarrassing. I whip out my phone and text John that I will see him later tonight. I then text Spencer to meet in the hotel lobby in 10 minutes. He text back immediately. "On my way. What are we doing tonight?"

"We are going to John's. I haven't seen him in ages."

I throw my phone onto my perfectly made bed and head straight for the closet. I'm trying to decide if I go with the black hoodie or just a coat. I decided to just go with my basic leather jacket instead. My father hates it which makes me love it. I but on a pair of my favorite blue jeans and my basic nike shoes. I grab my essentials which include phone, keys, and my sunglasses. I head to the door when I hear my father's voice. "Alex come here. Is that really what your going to be wearing? You need to look more presentable then that," my dad yells. Instead of stopping and talking to him I pretend not to hear him and just walk out of the room.

I walk onto the elevator that is still open. I push the button with the big "L" on it. The elevator opens up and I see Spencer talking to one of the doormen who won't let him in. I walk up behind them. "He's with me, next time just let him in."

"Oh sorry Mr.Jones I didn't realize he was with you. No problem I will make sure everyone is aware that he is with you, for next time.

"Thank you" I firmly say as I walk away.

Spencer and I walk back into the hotel lobby and straight to the elevators. We hit the down button to go down to the garage. While on the way down in the elevators Spencer asks,"So how did you end up getting your dad to agree to this?"

"Well Spencer, you see I'm 21 now so I can actually do whatever I feel like whenever I feel like it"

"But you still asked your dad for permission to go tonight though, right?"

"Yes Spencer, but that's not the point. I'm an adult and can do what I want."

The elevator opens and we walk into the car garage and start walking towards my black Range Rover. That's at the very end of the garage. "Why don't you just use the valet like every other rich spoiled kid. And then you wouldn't have to go into the garage and get park your car yourself.

"Because I don't want to be just another spoiled rich kid. I want to have a normal person life and parking my own car is part of that."

"But you're not just any normal person. Your Alex Jones! There's nothing normal about you."

"I don't see why people think I'm so extraordinary."

"Because you are the son of the greatest business man alive but you aren't just his son. You have an amazing singing voice and you do nothing about it. You let your talent go to waste."

"Yeah whatever, just get into the damn car and stop trying to be all inspiring and shit." I say as we walk up to the car and start to get in.

We get in the car and the first thing that Spencer does it grab the AUX cord before I can. He than plugs in his phone and starts playing some music. Me and Spencer have the same taste in music so I don't mind that he got the cord and I didn't. We both then put on out seat belts and I pull out of the car garage. Spencer than leans over and turns down the music a little so we can talk. "So is there any particle reason why we are going to go see John tonight?"

"Nope, I just haven't seen him in forever and he's more of a father to me than my own dad."

"Are you going to get back on the stage tonight? It's open mic night tonight." Spencer asked me and looks very nervous to hear my answer.

"No, I can't. You know I can't" I look over at him with sad eyes remembering the last time that I got on stage. We pull up to bar and find a parking spot really close to the front door. We get out of the car and as I walk away a press my car locked and swiftly put my car keys in my front pocket. I stop in front of the door and take a deep breath before I opened the door. I heard the familiar sound of the same radio station on the speakers. I walk in and smell the unique smell that is John's bar. I look around to try and find John but I can't. I look over at Spencer who is waiving back to girl who looks very into him. I slap him on the back and tell him, "Go for it! I'm going to go try and find John before the show starts."

"Are you sure? Do you want me to come with you?"
"No it's okay you go and get that girl. Maybe she'll be crazy enough to date you."

"Thanks. See you before it starts." His smile is to his ears and I can't tell if it's because i was teasing him or because of the girl he's about to go talk to. As I start to look for John again I see him emerge from the door that leads to the back rooms. I walk over to him and he sees me before I'm able to says anything. He gets the biggest smile ever and yells, "Alex!"

"John, it feel like its been years since I last saw you."

"I know it cause your dad is working you so hard on the business."

"That's very true but I have to learn how to run it before I can take it over. How has the bar been doing? It looks like it's still doing well"

"It's doing amazing better than ever actually."

"That good. I would be so sad if I came back and I was gone. So do you have any good performers going on tonight?"

"Actually, other than all the subpar people there's one."

"Really? Who is it?"

"Do you remember that girl I was telling you about the last time you here? The one who lost her mom and said she wasn't going to perform ever again."

"Yeah, how could I forget you told me she was the best you've ever had."

"She's performing tonight. She's the first one."

"Wow, that's amazing. I'm so excited to hear her." I get really happy because John had told me so much about her.

"Well, I better get on stage and start the show."

"Okay, I'll talk to you after the show. I better go find a seat." I look around and am only able to find a table right at the front and go sit down and Spencer comes up just a few moments later. Before we can talk John jumps on stage and starts talking into the mic. He introduces Amelia and then leaves. Amelia then gets on stage and sits on the stool that's waiting for her. She doesn't say anything but just starts playing.