Prologue

"Smile for the camera, Amari." A man held a camera, pointed at a little girl with shoulder length brown hair. "You'll only be five once."

She turned to face him with a sullen look and crossed arms. Her golden brown eyes were on the brink of tears.

He lowered the camera and looked at his wife that stood beside him. "What's the matter, pumpkin?" He asked quietly.

"I want to go out." She sniffled. "Why can't we go out?"

"Because." Her mother started slowly. "It's not safe for people of our kind to be out."

"That's not fair! Jacks is one of us and he gets to go out!" She yelled as she gestured to a boy who sat next to her.

The little boy raised an eyebrow then looked at his parents. He was at least two years older than Amari. "That's true. Mom, Dad. How am I able to go out and she isn't?" He looked at his parents.

"That's because you are a half-blood. You look more human than-"

"Andorian? That's why?" Amari looked at Jackson's parents.

They both nodded and she slumped in her seat. "It's not fair! Just because someone looks different, doesn't mean that you hate them for it!" She yelled.

"I know, pumpkin." Her father picked her up and placed her on his lap. "Humanity can be very cruel to what they don't understand."

She sniffled and rested against him. "Sometimes...sometimes I wish I were human so I could go play with other kids. It's no fun being stuck in the house all the time."

"And that will change once people have a change of heart." Her mother kissed her forehead.

Amari's golden orbs met with her mother's. "And how long will that take?" Amari asked quietly.

The whole room fell silent and the adults looked away unable to meet her gaze.

"Ummm...are we going to cut this birthday cake? I'm starving." Jackson huffed.

His mother scolded him and gave him a good pinch on the arm and he rubbed his arm and winced at the same time.

Amari giggled and scooted herself off of her father's lap and skipped to the counter where the cake was resting.

"Yea. We need cake." Amari grinned.

"OK, pumpkin, if that's what you want." Her father got up.

Amari danced with delight as she watched her father cut her a big piece of cake. Jackson stood next to her with a big grin.

Amari eyed Jackson up and down. "How come you have black hair now? It was blonde?"

He looked at her and pursed his lips. "Because I am a growing Andorian. We change appearances like this as we grow older." He gestured to all of himself. "I mean look at you. You're getting your fangs."

She ran her tongue over her fangs and grinned. "I am!" She grinned.

"OPEN UP!" Someone yelled as they banged on the door.

All four adults looked fear stricken. "Jackson. Take Amari and hide and do not come out until it's completely clear." Her father said. "Do you understand?"

Jackson grabbed Amari's hand and nodded. "Yes, sir."

He ran off with her and hid in a secret room in a closet. Darkness enveloped them as Amari held onto Jackson tightly.

"What's going on, Jacks?" She whispered over the loud yelling that went on outside the closet.

"It's-" His words were cut short by four loud noises. He fell silent and wrapped his arms around her, holding back a few tears.

"Jacks? What was that?" She looked up at him with tear filled eyes. "Are they dead?"

He didn't answer and held onto her tightly.