Epilogue

It was a feverish slumber, not a state of rest sleeping usually brings to one's body. An obligation his body had forced on him as a result of all the exertions from the fight, without his consent when he lost the battle against fatigue and it had instantly turned into a prison of his mind.

Mon-El was trapped in a nightmare. One he hadn't visited for a long time.

Haunted, tormented and enslaved by his demons. Demons that looked nothing like those hideous demons of Kryptonian origin he had encountered earlier, but were far worse.

And he could not escape them no matter what he did.

"I love you, I know I should have said it before."

Kara's blood-shot wet eyes, her contorted face and broken voice, they cracked his still injured heart all over again.

"You made me so happy..."

Her strained, yet genuine smile made him scream loudly, begging to wake up and stop reliving this torturous moment he never wanted to be repeated again.

Nevertheless, his will held no power.

Onto the next hellish hallucination.

He was confined in a pod, speeding away from the place he had come to know as his true home.

A wormhole appeared, sucking him in as he futilely punched on buttons and the screen pad. His heart was beating so fast that he was sure it would burst out of his chest any second now. In the end he gave up, clutching Kara's necklace to his chest with all he had, Mon-El closed his eyes and prepared for the worst.

His thoughts were only of Kara...

Then his stomach flipped as he was hurled into somewhere else again.

A grave with an almost gone name and outlines of an all too familiar insignia.

A shredded crimson fabric draped over his arms.

A heavy heart and sleep ridden eyes.

A wish for an end after dragging, intolerable days,

And a necklace around his neck.

Mon-El re-watched them all, experienced the profound despair he had been carrying all along once more and under it, his well-built dam in his mind shattered into millions of pieces and he plunged deeper than he ever had into the bottomless pitch black void inside him, the one he was well aware of its existence, but had stubbornly been ignoring.

Mon-El surrendered,

Relinquished,

Gave in to the unbearable overwhelming sensation,

And he plummeted,

Becoming one with the darkness around him.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Just as he considered all was beyond the returning point, a dazzling light cut through his annihilation sharply, reminiscing a lightning bolt.

It gifted him with weightlessness and showered him in an unexpected, yet very much welcome sense of peace.

"Edri sehta rrosh mor tim."