16: Gideon

"His Highness, Prince Gideon," the announcer shouted

Gris swallowed his heart, now crawling up his throat.

I need to return Mageia!

The commander knew everything that happened on the palace grounds and the kingdom. It would not be long before the arrogant bastard mentioned the Purple Thief, who was supposed to be with Gideon since he'd returned.

Oh, I hope Dargany is returning her now, or better yet, Gideon, please play along.

He fumbled with the buttons on his vest as his stepbrother made his way to their end. He greeted everyone with a nod and his slick grin, as if he was always up to something clever.

"Family, you all look beautiful this fine day," he said as he slid into his chair, or rather, Gris' chair.

Queen Saia squealed, a hand pressed to her plump bosom. "I am so happy you are here, Gid."

"Same here," the king said. "How did your meeting go with the blacksmith?"

Gideon nodded to the servant, who placed his bowl of soup down, then gave his stepfather a bright smile. "Fine as usual. His price for the new daggers were over excessive, but with a bit of heart-to-heart encouragement," he said, bouncing his eyebrows in a flirtatious manner, "I was able to reduce it."

"Ew, disgusting." Princess Relana grimaced.

The queen's face stretched with a mother's proud smile. "You were always good with negotiations, son."

Gris looked at Orlan standing in the line of servants behind the queen and Relana and tried to mentally catch his attention. The commander's eyes narrowed in great suspicion and followed Gris' gaze, so he quickly looked away, hoping to reduce the uneasiness on his face and body language.

A hand plummeted onto his left shoulder and shook him joyously. "Grisonce! What a welcoming sight you are." Gideon smiled with all his teeth, blue eyes filled with joy.

Despite everyone's discomfort of his presence, Gideon had always been more accepting. Sometimes all Gris needed was for Gideon to be around to put everyone at ease.

"You too, Gideon."

"And he speaks," he said, eyes glistening with an underlining meaning. He brushed a strand of his blonde hair from his eyes and grinned. "Because I had a meeting to go to and didn't know when I'd return, I thought it best to summon you to replace me."

"Y-you sent the invite?" Gris asked. A part of him felt honored to be thought about, but the other half crumbled, knowing that his father wasn't the inviter.

"Yes. I thought about stopping by your chambers to see if you were still alive, but things got in the way."

"To change to a more suitable subject," Queen Saia said, her rudeness more visible than ever. "I heard that you were planning to extend the border eastward, honey?"