𝙏 𝙒 𝙊

Amelia Lancaster

My first day at Midtown high has finally ended, feeling like it had gone on forever. Walking out of the bustling school, I watched the streets crawl with people, cars going too fast and people walk to the beat of New York City's sidewalks.

It's as I'm navigating my way through the crowd back to my family's apartment that I see him, swinging through the city. I immediately started to pick up the pace, just trying to see where he's going. I began to jog down the streets, keeping my eyes locked on the boy in red and blue. I loved the way he would have fun while he fought crimes, always letting out a "whoop!" or "yeah!"; I wish I could feel that way.

When I first heard about the so-called 'Spider-Man', I thought he was fake. I mean who would believe a guy could fight crime with a spiderweb and still be as young as he was assumed to be?

After having run what felt like 2 miles without stopping, I am out of breath and need to slow down, I still watched him though. Funnily, he stopped as well and just hung out on a rooftop.

I figured now was when I could get my picture, so I took my camera out and turned it on, and looked through the viewfinder to get the right angle. It was then that I noticed the big white eyes looking right at me.

Spiderman was watching me take a picture of him.

Oddly, I felt scared yet still protected under his gaze. I knew I was safe, but that doesn't mean I'm not uncomfortable. Placing my camera back in my bag, I scurried away to leave his sight. Yeah, I would love to meet him, but after just having literally chased him? Might not be too flattering for me.

What if he comes after me, does he hate me, will he follow me? All of these thoughts begin to race through my head as I lean against a wall in a random alley. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, trying to slow my racing heartbeat. I couldn't tell you if it's beating because of my quick exercise or because of the white eyes that had just stared at me.

As I regained my composure in this alley, I sensed that I wasn't alone. I could feel someone watching me.

I whipped my head around, and sure enough, hanging upside down in the corner is him. My eyes going wide out of panic, I was about to run until I heard him speak.

"Wait!" He yelled, releasing his web that he was holding him up to run after me.

I was in a state of shock and my feet were suddenly glued to the floor. He shot a web at my feet.

Unbelievable.

I turned my head to the side, trying to rip my feet from the ground, but it's no use.

"Don't go, I just have a question,"

"It's not like I can," I retort, gesturing to my feet.

"Oh, yeah, sorry about that," he says, bringing his hand behind his neck to rub up and down, "Why were you taking pictures of me?" He continued. 

I sighed, figuring there's no point in lying, I take my sketchbook out of my backpack. I don't think it's a crime to take a picture for a drawing, might as well be honest, besides, he could shoot another web at me or all I know.

"I um, I like to draw you," I stutter, extending my arm to him o he can see my most recent, "As weird as it sounds, you are cool to watch then draw." I laugh.

"Oh, I thought you were following me and taking pictures for a newspaper or-or the police or something."

"Well yes and no, I need pictures so I have a reference since I can't draw while you move. I don't work for anyone though to answer your question. "

"Oh." He said, his shoulders relaxing, him accepting the sketchbook from my hand, his gloved fingers grazing mine.

" Can I, um, can I have this one?" he asked.

" What?"

"This drawing. No one has drawn me besides Vigilante posters, and those aren't the nicest,"

"Oh yeah, sure." I smile.

"Cool, uh, thanks." He complimented, still sounding apprehensive.

This whole situation is apprehensive.

"I just finished that one today at school,"

"Wow. Where do you go?" He invites.

"Midtown. I just moved here, I'm still figuring out where everything is. Where do you go?"

"I uh, I can't-"

I slapped a hand to my forehead, "I'm in idiot, my bad, you can't tell me that." I laugh, trying to forget my dumb question.

He handed me the sketchbook back after having neatly torn it out of the book, he stared at it and sometimes ran his hands over it.

"I um have to go, homework awaits me,"

"Yeah, so do I," he chuckles," Sorry if I scared you earlier. I wanted to know why you were running after me."

"It's no big deal, I wasn't trying that hard to be subtle."

"Okay, I'll see you I guess?" He said, beginning to walk away.

"You can count on it." I smile.

"Okay, cool, cool- I'll try to pose for you every now and then- bye!" he replied, turning the corner.

I looked down at the now blank page in my sketchbook, smiling at the once-in-a-lifetime experience I just had, only to then realize that I'm still glued to the ground.

"Hey! Wait! Spiderman!" I yell as loud as can, "Come back!"

It's no use though, he had to of been long gone.

As I stood there and felt my knees begin to grow tired, I replayed our conversation over and over in my head. I want to imagine that he was smiling genuinely underneath his mask. I wonder what his hair color is, wonder if he has birthmarks or freckles.

I can still feel the rubber bumps from his glove on my right hand from when his fingers brushed mine. His voice felt familiar, but I feel like any voice could sound familiar since you can't assign a face to someone with a mask on.

I wondered what he would do with it, the drawing. I hoped he wouldn't throw it away. Maybe he would do something with it, hang it in his room, put it in a binder?

Who knows.

It's unlikely, but can't help but hope I see him again.

Ayo we just met spidey!
What are y'all's thoughts? Any predictions???

Please vote and comment, it makes my day!
Xo,
Ava