𝙁 𝙄 𝙑 𝙀

Amelia Lancaster

The next day was rough. I was exhausted from last night with Spiderman, but it was worth it. I sat down in the back of English like always, and do not see Peter there yet. I figured he'd be here soon so I didn't fret. I waited for him to startle me while I was drawing, looking up now and then at the door, but classed continued and the door never opened.

~~~

Peter never came to class or any other classes for that matter.

It was lunch now and I had art next as my last block, so I had figured that he just wasn't coming in today. Ned had sat with some other people, leaving me to the crunching of food echoing in my head with earbuds blaring a new song I had found to drown out the chaos of the cafeteria. Peter had been the only friend I had made so far, so today had been kind of bummy.

I hadn't realized how much I looked forward to seeing him.

My thoughts were interrupted as this blonde girl wearing a white button-down shirt and a sweater vest sat in front of me.

She looked nice, I guess.

"Hi! I'm Gwen Stacy. I've heard you new here?" She greeted oh-so preppily.

"Yeah, I'm Amelia." I smile to just be polite.

"Where'd you move here from?"

"Chicago." I nod, wondering why she was really talking to me. Cut the small talk, ya know?

"Oh that's cool, I've always wanted to visit there and see The Bean."

"Fun fact, it's actually called Cloud Gate; the artist, Anish Kapoor, did not intend on "the bean"- said with air quotes- being such a selfie attraction, isn't that neat? He's kind of an ass in the art world but is quite brilliant," I smile, rambling, "Sorry, I totally just geeked out."

"Hey! You learn something new every day, right? That was really cool, I'll remember his name now- Anish Kapoor you said?"

"Yeah! He's probably in some contemporary museum here."

"Speaking of names, aren't you friends with Peter Parker?" Gwen asked.

"Yeah? What's up?"

"Oh, I wanted to let you and him know that I'm having a party this weekend! You guys can bring other people along too if you'd like, it's not a rager, but it won't be lame. Starts at 9:00 at my place."

"Alright, I'll see if I can come, I might have plans." I lie, fully knowing I won't have plans. It's more if my parents will let me go, and I low key want to meet up with Spider-Man again.

"I hope you'll be there!" She nudged along as she got up from the table and then walked off to go ask more people to come, "bye Amelia!"

~~~

The rest of the day was pretty sucky. I didn't even enjoy art and that, that was a new feeling. I was bored the entire day and had no one to talk to, earbuds and art teachers only go so far. When school was over, I got out as fast as possible. I was almost sprinting through the hallways.

I walked home taking a quick pit stop at Central Park.

The one place that wasn't just buildings and was a little quiet was there.

I sat under a tree, taking in the peace. I started to work on my homework. It was nice out and I wasn't being disturbed. I left my music off to give my ears a break and started to read my book for English, taking in nature's beautiful smell, sight, and sounds. I read a couple of chapters that felt like a year had gone by when I finished. Very boring.

Anyways, I started my math homework and heard a loud crack in the distance. I didn't think much of it until I heard it again, and again and knew something was up. I packed my stuff up and started to follow the sound. It sounded like lighting, yet it wasn't raining.

I found where it was coming from, in an alley behind some townhouses. I saw a flash of light hit the wall and I heard a scream.

I turned to see who it was and I rushed to go help.