7 - SPECIAL PLACE

AFTER KNOWING EACH OTHER FOR THEIR WHOLE LIVES, THE IDEA OF BEING NERVOUS AROUND EACH OTHER WAS A CONCEPT ZARINA AND T'CHALLA COULD NOT GRASP

AFTER KNOWING EACH OTHER FOR THEIR WHOLE LIVES, THE IDEA OF BEING NERVOUS AROUND EACH OTHER WAS A CONCEPT ZARINA AND T'CHALLA COULD NOT GRASP. While their transition into their teenage years had brought to light revelations that neither acted upon but were well aware of, it was because of their lack of action that they were able to tamp down what would have typically become avoidance and tension, allowing them to keep their relationship in tact and as it always was, even with outside factors.

Yet there the two were, two bundles of nerves, all jittery and jumpy, excitable yet frightened in such a way that made little sense for the two to feel about the other, hearts pounding and stomachs churning in anticipation, avoiding each other like the rabbit avoids the snake.

"Why do you worry about what you wear, be practical, where are you going?" Okoye asked, rolling her eyes as she lounged on Zarina's comfortable bed, watching her fuss over her clothes.

"Not everyone can be as beautiful as you Okoye," Zarina sighed, pulling out one of the dresses T'Challa had gotten her for her birthday.

Okoye tutted, shaking her head. "You cannot compare beauty, Zarina." She smirked then, adding airily, "Although, I have been blessed with an ethereal glow..."

Zarina scoffed and threw one of her dresses at her, Okoye laughing teasingly as she shook it out, admiring it, repeating her initial question, "Where are you going?"

"He won't tell me," Zarina sighed, turning around to look at her, "He said it's a special place he hadn't shown anyone. His own place. Do you know what he's talking about?"

Okoye shook her head, solemn. "I protect the prince, but we don't always have to be around. If anything, you should know. You always know."

Zarina chewed on her lip as she went back to her clothes, thinking. When she was younger, that statement would be undoubtedly true. When she and T'Challa were younger, they were all the other had, T'Challa too sheltered to be ready to meet the people he would soon fight beside and rule, and Zarina taught by her father, choosing to be with T'Challa. But as time went on, the two branched out, finding new people. T'Challa knew all those that Zarina knew, but it wasn't the same on his side. T'Challa knew many Zarina didn't know, might never know. She didn't care if he knew other people, but the idea of them being inseparable was becoming less and less true.

There was very little even keeping them together at this point. Habit, mostly. Neither could be sure of the others' feelings, so that factor was never in question to begin with.

"Zarina," Okoye said carefully, craning her neck to try and see her friend from where her back was turned, "Are you alright?"

She nodded, glancing over her shoulder to give her a reassuring smile, though she could see from Okoye's expression that it didn't quite hit the mark. She sighed and turned back to her closet, shrugging.

Finally, Okoye spoke, "I understand being nervous, Zarina. But you act like things changing is a bad thing."

"It's not," she said, whirling around, "Change is good, change is-is important, it's not that I'm afraid of changing, I'm just—" she paused, only for a moment, "What happens when he realizes he doesn't need me anymore?"