Chapter 1 - Francis and Lia

Lia's rucksack bounced on her back. He could hear her breathing becoming more ragged with each second they ran. Francis snuck  fleeting glance behind him. His breath caught in his dry throat. One corner, two; they were faster than the dead. Another corner.

Francis rammed a door and it crashed to the floor. He smiled at Lia as he pushed the door back into it's frame. Lia collapsed alongside Francis on the dusty floor. In between gasps Lia started laughing, "Whats so funny?" Francis couldn't help smiling, he always couldn't help it when Lia was laughing. Lia just shook her head and continued laughing. Francis rolled his eyes and got up from the floor, his heart still thumping a fast, tense beat.

He unzipped his rucksack and got out a package, wrapped neatly in brown paper and secured with string. Lia looked up from her place on the floor,

"What's that?" she asked.

"Happy birthday!" Francis exclaimed, suddenly bright and bouncy, so much unlike his usually stony exterior. This was the side of him that he only showed at special occasions. Lia laughed, her eyes bright with glee,

"How do you even know my birthday and that it's today?", Francis tapped his nose and winked slyly;

"A magician never reveals his secrets," Francis knelt down and handed Lia her present. Francis grinned as he saw Lia's hands trembling in her excitement. Her eyes lit up in delight as she peeled back the paper to reveal the shiny cover of a book. Francis knew that Lia wanted this book, his knowledge was confirmed by the way she shrieked with glee and literally jumped for joy. A tear rolled down her face as she clutched the book to her chest, Francis could just about her her whispering; over and over, "Thank you, thank you so much."

Sometimes times like these were good. Sometimes they could forget the likelihood of death. Sometimes their friendship was all that really mattered to them.

Francis peered into the endless darkness, his knife held loosely. He looked onto the street below for any sign of movement, Francis had pushed a heavy wardrobe across the door to stop any unwanted guests from disturbing them. Lia was in the other room, her snores resonating through the damp walls, making Francis chuckle. She always refused to believe that she snored, but mobile phones were but a good memory to him so he had no way of proving this to her. He checked his watch, an ancient analogue device that had to be wound manually. This was usually the time that he would swap shifts with Lia, but it was her birthday, he would let her sleep for a bit longer.

Francis' eyes opened, bright sunlight hit his face, accentuating the scar that slashed his cheek. Lia chuckled as he looked at her, his eyes unfocused and confused. "Wakey-wakey sleepy head," she grinned and got up, "I made breakfast!" Francis smiled as he took the opened can of soup that Lia handed to him. Francis bent the lid so he could eat without making a mess, smells attracted the dead. 

Sometimes times were good, a friendly, fun time to be in. The dastardly duo, Lia and Francis- two of a kind.

But things can't stay perfect. Not in any world, and especially not in a world of zombies, desperation, betrayals.

Knock, knock, knock. Hasty, panicked, scared. Francis drew his knife as he approached the door.