Chapter 1: I Promise

*gif of Dakota Ryan*

                     Sirens blare throughout the small town of Thorne Bush, Arkansas

Sirens blare throughout the small town of Thorne Bush, Arkansas. The police station is busy for a Friday night, souls mourn for the loss of three loved ones. Dakota Ryan, a 17-year-old orphan, sits in the Sheriff's office. She stares out into the abyss with an empty, hallow chest. The Sheriff talks to his deputy outside the office. Amanda Shreipe, a police officer, walks into her boss's office, bending down next to Dakota. She puts her hand on the young girls, trying to give her comfort.
"Miss Ryan, I saw on you and your brothers files that he was your only living relative." Officer Shreipe waits for the young girl to answer but gets none, "Is there anyone that I can call for you? A youth leader or family friend, perhaps?"
"Hank—" Dakota's words are distant, broken "Hank Allen."
"Hank Allen?" Officer Shreipe nods her head, "What's his number?"
"Can I have a piece of paper?" Officer Shreipe gets Dakota a pencil and pen to write with.
Officer Shreipe gets a sticky note on Sheriff Bohannon's desk and hands it to Dakota. She writes the numbers to her brother's best friend's number. Officer Shreipe takes the paper form the young girl and walks out, dialing the number. She looks back at Dakota, remembering that only an hour ago the young girl had been informed about her brothers accident.

                       Hank Allen, a 27-year-old mechanic, pulls into the Thorne Bush Police Station

Hank Allen, a 27-year-old mechanic, pulls into the Thorne Bush Police Station. He quickly turns off the engine and jumps out of his truck, slamming the door. He rushes into the station to see a family, the Harris's, talking to a bunch of officers. Hank goes to the front desk, a male officer sits there at the desk.
"Where's Drew Ryan?" Hank says rushingly, his heart pounding. "What happened?"
"Um—" The male officer stumbles on his words.
"I called." Officer Shreipe speaks up, "Dakota Ryan, do you know her?"
"Yeah. Yeah, I know her." Hank says to the woman, "That's my best friends little sister. Why? Did something happen to her?"
Officer Shreipe motions for Hank to follow her. She walks into Sheriff Bohannon's office.
"Where's Drew? What happened?" Hank says anxiously, sitting down in a chair.
Officer Shreipe turns and looks at him sadly.
"There was an accident." Hank's face turns pale, his heart breaking. "DUI. Mr. Ryan hit the Harris's youngest daughter from the drivers side, he flew into a building. The impact tore his body apart."
Hank suddenly feels sick to his stomach, tears fall down his cheeks.
"Where's Dakota?" Hank says weakly.
"She's in the restroom." Officer Shreipe says in a low tone, "Shes been in there for more than 20 minutes. Poor thing."
    Hank stands and walks out of the office, to the unisex single restroom near the break room. He knocks on the door, leaning in.
"Dakota? Dakota, it's me. Hank." Hank says, "Let me in."
The door handle shakes, the door slightly opening. Hank peaks his head in to see the young girl hunched over the toilet, gagging. Hank immediately rushes over and jerks her up. Drew had told him that before he took Dakota in, she used to suffer from Bulimia. Whenever she had a meltdown, she would lock herself in the bathroom and binge. Hank drags her out of the bathroom, Dakota shouting for him to let her go, and plops her down into her seat. Tears fall down her cheeks as she heaves.
"What's wrong with her?" Officer Shreipe grabs a trash can and begins to hand it to the young girl.
Hank swats her away. "She used to be bulimic. This is just a relapse."
"Should I call her doctor?" Officer Shriepe says worriedly.
"No, she has to stop herself. It was Drew's method." Hank bends down in front of a heaving Dakota, he pulls loose strands of hair behind her ear. "Koda, quit it! Drew wouldn't want you to do this!"
"He's—dead." Dakota begins crying, wrapping her arms around Hank's neck. "Drew's dead, Hank! I'm all alone now. I don't have anyone else!"
Hank hushes her, wrapping his muscular arms around her tight body. He holds the back of her head to him and pats her back. She sobs into his shoulder, smelling the cigarette smoke from his clothes. It reminds her of her big brother, making her cry even harder.
"You're not alone, Dakota." Hank says soothingly, "I'm here. I'm not going to leave you, I promise."

                After Hank had spoke with the Sheriff and the child services, they had told him that there was nothing they could do for Dakota. She would have to stay with a family friend for the weekend and they would deal with the situation on Monday. So Hank took Dakota home. She didn't want to stay there, it made her feel sick knowing Drew wouldn't come come ever again. Hank helped her pack a few things and took her to his house on the south side of Thorne Bush. He let Dakota take his bed while he slept in the recliner. That night, they both didn't get any sleep. They both tossed and turned until their thoughts became empty and void.