Chapter 8: Picking Dakota Up

The 3 o'clock bell rings

               The 3 o'clock bell rings. The weekend at last. Dakota has morning detention Monday morning and that afternoon. Principal Jean and Hank had arranged it that way for her punching Wiley the day before. As Devin and Dakota wait for everyone to get on the bus, Wiley keeps picking on the freshman girl. The girl makes eye contact with Dakota but she just turns around and ignores her. The girl wouldn't step up after she defended her and even got into trouble because of it.
               "Well, hopefully some bitches can last a bus ride without bullying anybody!" Wiley calls after Dakota, her hands into tight fist.
               "Ignore him, DR." Devin mutters as his eyes go to her fist.
               "Just suck your cock, Wiley. Don't want to end up with another black eye."
               "I'm just tired of all the bitches in this school!" Wiley shouts at her
               "Then stop acting like one." She fires back, not looking at him.
               "I could say the same for you, Ryan." Wiley walks up, shoving Devin aside. "Your not so scary now, are ya?
               Dakota can see Principle Jean a few yards away, the woman's eyes are focused on them. Knowing how to piss Wiley off even more, Dakota gets right in his face. Her face twisted into a smirk
               "At least I got a pussy, what's your excuse Wiley?" She fires back, making everyone chant Wiley's name.
              Wiley goes to punch Dakota when a hand grabs his wrist, pushing him aside without trouble. Dakota turns to see, to her surprise, Hank. His face is scrunched up, angry. Principal Jean walks up, her face full of annoyance.
              "Mr. Jenkins, I would have though that after you got your black eye, you would have learned to leave Miss Ryan alone. I can see that punch didn't take away your arrogance." Principal Jean says, "My office. Now."
Wiley turns to Dakota. "Your dead, bitch."
Hank grabs Dakota, squeezing to not only hold her back, to hold himself back as well. Principle Jean grabs Wiley by the earlobe, dragging him to her office. Hank pulls Dakota aside.
"What are you doing here?" Dakota says to him.
"You're a car rider today. Couple of the guys want to get together and play some cards. Was hoping you and I could go get some beer and food." Hank grunts, "I know you hate it when I have company over, but it's just the facts of life."
Dakota turns to Devin, whose waiting for her. She walks over to him.
"Hank's taking me home today. He's gonna have a small party—" She rolls her eyes, crossing her arms. "With his idiot friends."
"Are you sure you don't want to come home with me? It would be better." Devin offers, being a concerned friend.
Dakota smiles at him, glancing at Hank. "No, I'm good. Hank'll take care of me."
"He better." Devin steps onto the bus.
Dakota walks over to Hank.
"So, what kind of food, compadre?"

"I can't believe you're inviting Roger, Frank, and Johnny." Dakota says annoyed, staring out of the pickup truck window.
"They're not so bad." Hank says as he turns on Barron Road, "Drunks who like to gamble, yeah. But they're not so bad."
"It's illegal to gamble, Hank." She says simply, "If you got caught—"
"Nobody's gonna get caught, Koda." He sighs, "As long as they're out by 11, we're fine."
Dakota chews on her sleeve of her plaid shirt. Drew's old plaid shirt. Just a fond memory she can't let go.