vi

The following days finds Anwyll burning in a fever that doesn't seem to break.  He's flushed and sweating, body aching and needy.  He curls up in their pile of furs, trembling and shivering uncontrollably as he tries to make himself small.

He's in heat and Milan can't control himself.

He doesn't have the capacity to think, all he knows is that Anwyll is hurting.  The young bet- no, the young omega, is suffering and crying for him, for his alpha.

They spend a week of frenzy fucking and knotting, breathing harshly against each other's sweaty skin as they calm from their euphoric high only to start again.

It's on the fourth day after a round of feral sex, that Milan pauses after finding a small reprieve to properly think.

"Anwyll," he calls hoarsely.

"Hm?" Anwyll responds sleepily.

"Omega," he says softly.

Anwyll turns to look at his alpha, eyes burning a bright lilac in response.  No longer are they the typical beta gold.  They're brighter, gaze softer when they glance at Milan.

"How?" The alpha asks, brows furrowed in confusion.

"I don't know," Anwyll whispers, "I never had a heat or a rut and my eyes never changed color, I had always assumed I was beta.. I don't know why.. how."

"The ritual, do you think..?"

"No," Anwyll shakes his head, "not even the gods and goddesses would be that generous, I think.. maybe I was always omega, I just never really changed.  I certainly didn't feel like just a beta, but I didn't know.  I didn't trick you on purpose or anything-"

"I know you didn't," Milan assures, "you looked beta, certainly were beta at the time, but I'll admit that your smell was always a hint sweeter, like an omega.  I didn't think anything of it, a majority of your siblings are omega and I simply thought that that was it.  I'm not angry, nor do I feel played like a fool.  I'm just.. surprised.  I'm still wrapping my head around it to be honest.  I'm just wondering why you presented now, so late."

"I think," Anwyll mumbles, "the ritual combined with the maddening scent of your rut might have forced my body into heat."

Milan nuzzles against Anwyll, pressing a kiss to soft skin, "should I apologize?"

"No, actually," Anwyll adds softly, "I want to thank you."

"For what?"

"Helping me through it.  I didn't know what was happening.  It hurt and I was terrified, but you were there and you helped.  You anchored me."

"I wasn't much help, I was just as delirious as you, in my rut.  And although I was so scared of hurting you, I simply followed my instincts.  I did what felt right, for you and for me."

~~~

After nearly a week of constant sex, both Anwyll and Milan are relieved when their heat and rut simultaneously break.

They're left exhausted, they're hut smelling completely of them in a perfect blend of earthy scents.

"I'll be right back," Milan promises.

Anwyll squints up at the alpha looking adorably confused and disoriented, "where 're you goin'?"

"Food," Milan answers as he changes, "and I'm going to bring Theodore."