Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter Eight

"How was your trip?" Marco teases the minute we're in the door, being embraced tightly by Giovanni's aunt. As she hugs me, I look over her shoulder, eying Giovanni, who glares at his cousin.

"It was enlightening."

"Mhm. How was the beach?"

"Freeing," I respond, and Luca begins to laugh, slapping his hands on his knees. Marco gapes but quickly wipes the look of disbelief when Maria turns to him.

"Enlightening, freeing? What beach did you go to?"

Giovanni walks up to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "You don't want to know, Zia. How was your day?"

His segue miraculously works. We all watch him get out of the situation with envy.

"Sun-kissed is a good look on you, Scarlett," Marco says with a smile as we follow them.

"Stop flirting with Giovanni's woman."

"I'm not. I'm stating fact."

I shake my head, grinning. "Um, thank you."

"You don't happen to have a sister or–?"

"Afraid not," I hum with amusement, "sorry."

"Damn." Marco sighs. "Cousin?"

Luca groans. "You are so pathetic."

Suddenly, there are large excited hollers. My head snaps to where Giovanni is, finding him at the threshold of the living room. Maria is clapping excitedly beside him. His eyes are wide and aware when he turns just enough to look at me, his mouth hanging slightly.

I reach him, pressing a hand to his back, peeking in, and freeze.

The room is filled to capacity with people.

"Um, Zia?"

"It's just some family and friends! You're leaving in one day! Everyone wanted to see you both." She reaches out for me, pulling me close. I'm a head above her, but I bend, my eyes darting around the room.

"I told them all about your lovely girl. Everyone, say hello to Scarlett. This is Giovanni's girlfriend!"

I smile wide, frightened and intimidated.

"Hello, Scarlett!" they holler in unison.

"Now, don't be shy. We want to make her feel at home here, alright?"

"Zia," Giovanni reproaches, his voice low.

"She hopefully will be part of this family someday soon."

When the first group of people approaches me, Giovanni plants himself beside me. They reach out for my hands, and I offer them in return. I'm shocked when they tug on them, crushing me into an embrace–each of them– one after the other.

"Ah, she is so sweet! So beautiful!"

"Giovanni, you're a lucky man!"

My heart is racing when I pull back. I glance at Giovanni, positive I look fear-stricken. Immediately hands pull me in again. Nearly everyone introduces themselves to me, uttering hopes for a future between Giovanni and me, a big family, a long life. Giovanni does his best to save me but is constantly pulled away by a loving, persistent family.

I always imagined Giovanni's family consisted of his mother, sister, and brother. I never expected he'd have this army on the other side of the world. And it's a beautiful, sweet army.

A family like this is unheard of to me. Even with my mother's love early on in my life, it was a different kind of affection. It was a love sustained by fear and need. She was all I had. As much as I try to open myself to this outpouring of affection, I'm struck by the reminder of her, of my father– well, of the people I thought they were before I found out the truth. The pain is like a thorn in my chest, piercing my heart with a slowness, trying hard to make it to the tendons within and ruin my happiness.