Chapter 22

2 years later

Well basically. It's really been just under two years since Spain. I've integrated nicely, though I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole teamwork thing. 

I'm an avenger now... though I stay out of the public eye for the most part.  There's still controversy surrounding my association with the winter soldier...with Bucky.

Most people believe I'm on a redemption arc, though in all honesty I don't think I did anything wrong.

Steve and I are close.  And Sam has been welcoming as well.

But it's been two years, so I'm on good terms with everyone. Wanda and I are especially close. We are both some of the more powerful- and so the more feared- members of our team.

When Ultron happened, I could not fault her or her brother. I suppose the situation seemed somewhat familiar.

And now we're gathered around a table while we listen to the consequences of what happened in Lagos. I feel for her. She looks like she wants to sink under the table.

The team is torn about what to do, and so am I.

"Ms. Andrews? Your decision?"

I am jerked out of thought as Ross's voice cuts through the room, and now all eyes are on me. I am the only one to say nothing, and now they want me to change that.

"First, Just V. Please." I begin, "Secondly, I can't make a decision two minutes after being given a choice. You're right that changes need to be implemented, but I don't think any of us have taken enough time to read the fine print."

He nods, but doesn't seem to like what I have to say, "Ms. Andrews, you're aware that if you do not sign, you will retire?"

I narrow my eyes at the man, "I'm not saying I won't sign. I'm saying I need time to think. But you seem very eager to have us under your thumb, Secretary Ross. You said yourself that you look at us and see weapons. How much of a power-play are you hiding in those accords?"

Ross stiffens, and Sam smirks at me from across the table.

I sigh, "I'm asking for time. Can you give me that?"

"Three days." He spits, "I expect a decision by then. Talk it over."

We all turn toward one another, but Secretary Ross's voice cuts through the beginning of a debate.

"Ms. Andrews. A word?"

I cast a glance around the room before getting up to follow him.

"I have a mission for you." Ross says quietly, "In Lagos. They'll need help rebuilding."

I give a curt nod, "When do I leave?"

"Two hours."

"And the accords?"

"I'll send a copy to you. Three days Ms. Andrews."

I attempt to stare a hole in his back as he walks away, but give up and walk back into the room, where a heated debate has already begun.

"Tony." I interrupt, "I'm headed to Lagos in a couple hours."

"Ah, yeah okay. I made some alterations to your suit, better fire resistance, all that Jazz. Have you thought about the Accords?" He asks.

Steve shakes his head, "C'mon Tony, she hasn't had the time. They keep her busier than all of us combined."

"Ross seemed interested in V's decision more than any of us." Natasha chimes in.

"Well yes," Vis adds, "More than any of us they want her cooperation.  Surely it's occurred to you that even if none of us signed these accords if they had V on their side she could, to put it lightly, take care of any one of us."

"She could destroy us." Wanda muses.

I fidget where I stand.  I do not like where this conversation is going, "This isn't about me.  This is about whether or not signing the damn papers is the right thing to do."

"I gotta go." Steve says suddenly.

We watch as he rushes out of the room. 

"Lagos?" Wanda asks suddenly.

I turn to her, "Uh, yeah. To help rebuild."

She says nothing, but turns back to the others at the table. I frown slightly.

This rip in the seams is already spreading. I do not like what the future might hold.

Sam wishes me luck, and Tony walks me to the door.

"I hope you make the right choice." He says pointedly.

"Yeah, Tony." I reply, running a hand through my hair, "Me too."