New Beginnings

Waking up with my heart pounding, I sat up in bed and looked forward. It was still dark, but the sun was slowly starting to peak through the window. Without knowing what to do, I just started to break down and cry. 

"The dream was too real," I said as tears streamed down my face. 

Wiping away the tears, I pushed off the covers, and stepped onto the cold hardwood. I shivered from the cold, but went out into the hallway. I walked downstairs, and went over to where my parents room was. I pushed open the door slowly, as to not wake them, and peaked inside. 

My mom was sleeping peacefully on her side, while my dad was all sprawled out, having one of his arms draped around my mom. Smiling that they were both alright, I closed the door and went back to my room. 

Going back into my room, I tried to go back to sleep but couldn't. I grabbed my phone and unlocked it. On the home screen, I saw ten new notifications, a new post from Cinder, and 3 new messages. Opening the post from Cinder, it was a picture of me and my friend James laughing. We were both eating ice cream on a sunny day, but James seemed to be wearing more of it on his nose than the cone had on it. Under the picture was captioned, "Missing my homie, can't wait to see you." Smiling at the post from James, I checked my messages. 

The messages were from an old group chat that included me, James, Jade, and Brett

James: I no this group might be dead, but I think we should visit Jax soon

Jade: I think you meant *Know* and I agree, we need to go visit Jax

Brett: Look, there goes Jade being a grammar freak

Jade: At least I use proper English besides bruh and dude

I smiled before I typed my reply. 

Jax: You guys do know I'm in the chat right?

Jade: Hey, he's not dead, hi Jax

James: Sup dude, how's the new place?

Brett: Sup dude

Jax: Honestly, its creepy. Just had the worst nightmare of my life. It's nice to have friends to talk to

Jade: What was your nightmare about?

Jax: I'd rather not discuss it, lets just say my mom died and I almost died. 

Brett: Damn son, that's messed up. Glad I don't remember my dreams

Jax: Thanks soooo much for your support Brett

Brett: Anytime champ

Jax: Shit-head

Jade: Agreed lol

Putting my phone down, I got dressed in a pair of blue jeans, a tight red shirt, and my leather jacket. Heading downstairs, I heard my mom humming as she prepared breakfast. Bacon sizzled away on the skillet as she went to flip them over with a pair of tongs. She turned around and spotted me walking past the kitchen table. 

"Morning honey, did you sleep well?" she asked me, while turning back to the skillet

"No, horrible nightmare," I replied, hugging her before sitting down

"Today's your first day at the new school, are you ready for it?" mom asked me as she set down a plate of bacon in front of me. 

"Nope, but it beats this house," I replied, grabbing a piece of bacon and breaking it in two

On the way out to the van, I looked over by the trees and saw Dominic standing at the tree line, before dashing into the trees. 

"Today you'll just be meeting your teachers and principal. If you need me at all just call me okay?" mom said as she turned the key into the ignition

As we turned out of the driveway, we drove onto Red Hill Lane. We followed the road for awhile until we came across a small creek. The creek was underneath a one lane bridge, where vehicles had to go one at a time, to avoid collisions. As we slowed down to cross the bridge, the van suddenly broke down without any warning noises. 

"Why did the car just die?" I asked as I watched my mom keep trying to turn the key in the ignition, praying that the vehicle would start up

"I don't know honey, this van is pretty new. This has never happened before," she replied, still trying to get the ignition working

I opened up the passenger door to go try and push the car out from the bridge, when the vehicle suddenly roared to life, spitting out exhaust from the exhaust pipe. I got back in the passenger seat and watched my mom put the car in drive and press down on the pedal, but didn't have any luck. 

"What is wrong with this vehicle today?" mom asked nobody in particular, as she kept trying the pedal

In the distance, a truck was driving was too fast, quickly closing the space between them and the one lane bridge. 

"Mom, we're going to get hit!" I shouted as I began to brace for the impact. 

The car then lurched forward, and swerved out of the way, just in time to avoid getting crushed by the speeding truck.

"That was too close for comfort," mom said as she drove away, clearly shaken from the event. 

Reaching the school, I got out of the passenger seat and walked around to the back of the car. On the bumper was two sets of tiny handprints imprinted into the dust. Grabbing my phone from my pocket, I opened up the camera and took a picture of the handprints, for good measures. I walked around to my mom's window and gave her a hug though it. 

"Have a great day sweetie, make friends," she said as she sped away, honking the horn twice. 

"Well, this should be a blast," I muttered as I braced myself for the new school