Chapter 1: Love & Lies

In my short time in high school, I've learned that there is not a single person who can please everyone. If you're a geeky kid, you hate the popular kids. If you're a popular kid, you hate just about anyone who isn't just like you. It's just how it goes. The cliques in high school operate like countries; some are enemies, some are allies, some are somewhere in between. I fit in everywhere and nowhere; I'm like Switzerland. I have no enemies or allies; I refuse to conform to any one group. That sounds really insightful, but it's more out of lack of desire for social interaction and everyone else's lack of desire to get to know me. Being the socially awkward daughter of a well-known billionaire-slash-superhero has its benefits and its downfalls. You learn these things when you're the wallflower.

My watch beeps and shakes me out of the trance I've been in for the past thirty minutes. Unlike the vast majority of my school, the only extracurricular activity I partake in is curling up with a good book and a blonde espresso latte in the cushy armchair of the Starbucks a few blocks from my stuffy New York City private school, but I have to leave promptly at 4:30 to make the 5:00 train back upstate. As I'm rushing out, I hit something strong that knocks me to my feet and the contents of my backpack across the threshold of Starbucks. Whatever - or rather, whomever - I shoulder checked is already down on the ground picking up my belongings before I can even get my head on straight.

"Oh, I am so sorry. Thank you!"
"Hey, it's okay, it's alright!" Says a high-pitched but definitely male voice. With a quick glance I notice brown hair and dark eyes looking...straight at mine.

"Uh...I'm..." I stutter. He's cute. Really, really cute.

"Here you go." He says, handing me a stack of papers and notebooks.

"Thanks." I say, taking the pile and tucking a stray hair behind my ear as I stand in unison with the cute stranger. He takes a step back so I can step out of the way of the door as a group of college kids push their way out. I lose my balance and his hand finds my arm. My arm starts to tingle where his hand made contact, and I can't help but feel a tiny bit nauseous.

Wow - I have it bad for this kid.

"I'm Peter Parker." He says, sticking his hand out. I reach out to return the handshake.

"Emmeline," He looks at me expectedly, and I realize he wants my last name.
"Uh, Emmeline...Jones" I lie, thinking as quickly as my befuddled brain will allow. It's not very original and I can't even pinpoint why I felt the need to use a fake name; it just felt right.

"Nice to meet you, Emmeline Jones," he says, his eyes falling to the book in my hand. It's The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
"Do you go to Midtown?" He asks.

"Where?"
"Midtown Science and Tech?"

"Uh, no." I reply, somewhat confused.

"Oh, it's just the sophomore English classes are reading that at Midtown right now."

"Ah." I say, raising my eyebrows. He must be really smart if he goes to a magnet school for science and technology. "Nope, science is not really my thing. I go to Hewitt Prep."

"Got it. Do you live in Manhattan?" Jeez, this guy really wants to get to know me. At least this is the perfect segue.

"No, I live upstate and I actually need to make a five o'clock train or my parents will worry."

"Hey, me too! I mean, I live in Queens but I do this internship upstate and I was going to grab a hot chocolate before I go catch my train. I could join you?"
I smile and nod before turning on my heel towards Grand Central. Our conversation ceases there due to the difficulty of navigating Manhattan without getting flattened by a cab, but my chatty new friend starts it right back up again once we're safely on our train.