Chapter 5: Punishments & Accomplices

"What in the hell were you thinking? Do you think this is fun? Some sort of teenage rebellion all of a sudden?" My dad half says, half shouts. I open my mouth to reply, but he cuts me off.
"This is unacceptable, in case you hadn't figured that out already. First of all, I forbid you from seeing Peter and that sure as hell is not changing. Second of all, you're grounded. You will be driven to and from school every day. No more wild and free trips around the city after school. That's final." He emphasizes. Pepper has now joined us in the kitchen where my dad dragged me after discovering Peter and I. After he left the viewing room, Peter tried to spew apologies and urged my dad to place all of the blame on him. My dad assured him that he would also face consequences but that for now he needed to leave. As if my life couldn't get any weirder, my dad is going to discipline my boyfriend. Great. Peter looked at me with intense sorrow as he backed away. He mouthed "I'm so sorry", and I could have sworn I saw a tear in his eye.

"Tony, I really think-" Pepper starts.

"No, you know what Pepper, Emmeline does not need to be dating that guy much less dating at all!" He doesn't stop there, even though Pepper has also closed her mouth for now. "That kid is a bad influence on our daughter, that much is clear. She clearly is not mature enough to handle having a significant other if she can't follow simple orde-"

"Dad, STOP!" I shout. I've had it. "That isn't fair! You can't just ba-"

"Actually, I can!" Dad shouts back. Unlike in the movies when kids finally stand up to their parents, my dad isn't shocked into silence. He just yells back.

"In case you forgot, I am your father. Do you want to make this worse for yourself? Because I can call Hewitt in the morning and tell them you're being homeschooled again."

I sit there, breathing heavily with tears in my eyes. My chest cavity burns. I want so badly to fight back; to yell, to argue - to win.

"Dad....please." I beg. "Why can't you just let me be happy, even if you think I'm making a mistake? Isn't that what parents are supposed to do, let their kids make their own mistakes?"

"Not this parent. In case you've forgotten, I don't give a damn what other parents do."

"Tony.." Pepper starts again, but this time she grabs his arm and pulls him away. They walk into the hall and talk in hushed tones. Then, I hear one pair of footsteps make their way upstairs and another pair making their way towards me. Pepper is the one who enters the kitchen, somewhat to my relief. As if I were a child, she bends down so I have to look down at her.

"Look, I know your dad is...well. He's upset. You know that. I can't promise he'll come around, but I know I'm going to try my best to help him get there." I nod slowly, appreciative of her efforts; I can only hope they'll work.

"Thanks, mom." I say before I realize what I've said. She raises her eyebrows at me but says nothing. I let the word sit there as the awkwardness fades away. It felt right. It's time. Pepper rises and hugs me tightly before leaning away to look me in the eye, her hands still holding me closely.

"You know, your dad likes Peter. He's very proud of hard he's worked. It's probably not easy for him. I don't think he wants to see either of you hurt."

"Well right now, he's the one hurting us."
"I understand that, trust me." I nod, and Pepper hugs me one last time. She gently walks me back to my room where I lay awake for only a few moments. I'm so tired - tired of being alone, tired of being let down, and tired of fighting. Finally, despite my whirring thoughts and tense muscles, sleep overtakes me once again.

-----

I wake up around 10:30, but I stay in bed. My brain hurts. I don't know what to do now. Seemingly like magic, a knock comes at my door. I reluctantly stretch and leave my bed. I take forever getting out of bed and crossing the room, and I'm surprised that whoever knocked hasn't knocked again. I quickly discover why - there's no one at the door. Whoever knocked left a tray with my favorite breakfast - french toast. I smile. Pepper has to be behind this. I take the tray into my room and slowly try to eat, but I can only down a half a slice before my stomach begins to churn as I am reminded of the early morning events that sent my love life crashing down.

Surprisingly, my phone rings an hour later. Peter. I'm still in my bed, but I sit up to answer.

"Hello?" I ask nervously.

"Hey, Emmeline," says Peter, sounding equally nervous. "I just...how are you?"

"I haven't left my room, if that's any indication," I say, trying to sound more sad than mad.

"I'm really, really sorry Em. I should never have suggested that we try to go behind your dad's back. And I really shouldn't have planned a secret date in a place your dad clearly monitors more closely than I thought. I bribed a security guard but your dad still found out. And I'm sorry."
"It isn't your fault...my dad is a controlling, unreasonable maniac." I say, anger bubbling up inside of me.

"He just loves you and doesn't want anything to happen to you."
"Well, he's the root of all evil in my life right now, so I'm not really getting the doting father vibes." Peter chuckles, which makes me smile. Sadly, though, it's the truth; my dad is the only person bringing me pain right now, and it's all supposedly in the name of keeping me from suffering. Ironic.

"I guess if anything, this whole situation has brought Pepper and I closer. It's so totally cliche, but true. She's been so supportive. I accidentally called her 'mom' after everything this morning, but I didn't take it back. I just let it happen, and so did she."
"That's great!" Peter exclaims. I decide to address the elephant on the line.

"Has my dad talked to you?"

"Not yet. He'll probably take it out on me on Monday."
"I'm really, really sorry Peter."

"Look, whatever happens, it's worth it." At this, my heart swells. Despite the struggle, despite the pain, the annoyance, the inconvenience that has come with trying to maintain a relationship with me, Peter thinks it's worth it. Whether or not it truly is I cannot discern on my own. All I know is that I nearly cry with happiness to know that he cares that much.

"Emmeline? Everything okay?" I snap back to reality.
"Yeah, uh...everything's fine. Well, as fine as it can be..." I trail off, not sure where to go from here. Seems to be a pattern with me lately.

"I say we just try to get through these next few days and see if your dad comes around. If he doesn't, we'll formulate a new plan." He says this last phrase matter-of-factly; not exactly with positivity but not too seriously, either. I am grateful that he is so calm about all of this. Someone has to be.

"Sounds like a plan." I say, smiling.

"I should go. Bye, Emmeline."
"Bye, Peter."