Part six

Rune avoided Ivar for the rest of the day and dinner came and went. Ivar sighed as his subconscious decided to bring it to his attention that he had not seen Rune since lunch. Why did he insist on bring misery upon himself? So he went out to the hill. That hill where they had practically lived the previous week.
"You ever get tired of being brave?" He jumped. Apparently, she had heard him before he saw her. Laying on the ground hair spread in a mess under her as she looked up at the sky. "Tired of being this big scary... A person who's not allowed to be scared?"
"I want to be there so you don't have to be brave." She laughed bitterly.
"I have something most people spend their whole lives looking for."
"Whats that?"
"Someone who would give me the world if I ask. And it terrifies me."
"Why?"
"Maybe I'm scared because you mean more to me than any other person. You are everything I think about, everything I need, everything I want." Her head rolled over to study his face as his blue eyes seemed to bore into her soul. "Maybe I'm scared because the last time I let myself fall I was caught by a spider in his web of lies."
"Do I look like a spider to you?"
"Oliver looked like a teddy bear." She muttered. "You... You are a whole different type of predator, the likes of which I've never encountered."
"It's a good thing you're good at taming beasts then, huh?" He smiled gently settling next to her. Suddenly his fear was irrelevant, Rune lay before him scared and insecure he couldn't let that stand. "You've conquered the mind of a wild animal before-"
"I don't want to conquer you Ivar." She sat up and he stared into determined gray eyes. "I want to help you fight your enemies. Out there." She gestured towards the world around them. "And in here." she pressed her fingers to his head, then his heart. "But most of all I want to help you defeat the demons here. I want to soar free with you Ivar, you are a predator Ivar. A wild, bloodthirsty predator."
"And so are you. That's what makes us perfect for each other. We are predators, two people unafraid to fight, to take what we want. I want to see you grow, I want to see the fear in people's eyes when they hear your name. I want power for US, Rune. Me and you. King and Queen. Rune... Please. Let me try"
"I'm scared Ivar, "
"I understand, " suddenly a cold and bitter laugh took over her. And once more he was reminded his love was a cruel and crazy berserker.
"We've not even known each other for six months and here we are at our most vulnerable and defenseless completely uncaring."
"Isn't that what love is? Being completely exposed and still feeling safe?"
"Ivar..."
"I'm here. I'm always going to be here. I can wait. I will wait."
"You won't."
"I will."
"You won't because there is no reason to wait, Ivar I love you, I'm here. We're going to do this together. We will rise. We will have what we deserve. We will be happy."  Relief overtook him and he pulled her closer to his body. "Can we stay here for awhile?"
"Yes. We can stay as long as you like." And as her eyes drifted shut he pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I love you too." Rune stretched and when she felt the familiar chest of Ivar she smiled. She glanced up at the moon and estimated it had been about two hours since she had fallen asleep. She hummed gently as Ivar slept watching as his eyes twitched. A warm smile graced her face and she tapped his nose.
"Ivar." She whispered. "Ivar, My King, awaken we need to go home." His eyes blinked and he groaned.
"I don't want to."
"Please?" I'm cold"
"Maybe you should wear more to bed then."
"We aren't even in a house."
"Fine." He grumbled releasing her. "Come then woman, to the house." she rolled her eyes. When they arrived back the house was quiet.
"Where are the cubs?"
"With their mother most likely." Ivar glanced over at the dresser as they entered the room. "In the top drawer, there is a necklace. I know it's not the proper way to present it but it is the gift I intended to give you." She smiled honestly she didn't want the big public proposal it was deemed unnecessary by her clan to do so.

"Ivar,"
"Rose Quartz is your favorite right? I remember vaguely that you mentioned it."
"Yes, Ivar, rose quartz is most definitely my favorite."
"Good. You are pleased with the gift then?"
"Yes. I accept." She smiled goofily at the necklace. "Will you help me put it on?"
"of course come here." She sat on the edge of the bed and he secured it around her neck. "It's not to tight is it?"
"No. No, It's perfect."
"I meant it to be this grand romantic gesture to show all of my brothers." He grumbled settling back into the bed as she crawled over him and onto her side.
"I believe that us arriving at breakfast together and just being happy will do more than enough to rile them."
"I don't want to rile them. I want them to know that this wasn't a competition. I want them to know they didn't have a chance."
"They who know, my heart.  They do know. They just like to tease you, all siblings do it." He grumbled something before closing his eyes. "Goodnight, my King."
"Sleep well, my Queen," he responded and she wrapped her arms around him before allowing the abyss of sleep to consume her completely. Ivar smiled happily eating his food as Rune appeared already dressed and prepare for the day.
"Good morning Rune. I hope you slept well?" Sigurd asked he was almost positive he was gaining Rune's affections.
"Yes." Her answer was short and sweet as she sat down next to Ivar who pressed a kiss to her temple. Ubbe and Bjorn shared a glance and Bjorn cleared his throat. Again this brother thought he was winning her favor, in fact, they all were quite sure of themselves.
"Perhaps I could assist you in your chores so that we might go for a walk this afternoon?"
"My apologies, Bjorn. Ivar and I have plans to start conditioning Gunvor and Egil today. I am afraid that even with your assistance I would not have time for you today."
"Of course, tomorrow then."
"ille iustus est potest, non potest eum accipere a admonitus?" *He just can't take a hint can he?*
"non timeo" *Im afraid not." She sighed and stood up on the bench so that everyone in the room could see her.
"Ivar and I are courting and I am not interested in another spouse." She sat back down her hand finding Ivar's as he grinned smugly while his brother glared.