Always You - chapter 5

Copyright © 2010 - 2012 Kirsty Moseley

                                                      Chapter five

“Hey,” Clay chirped as I climbed into his car in the morning.

“Hey, yourself,” I replied, kissing his cheek. He smiled, and I felt my heart speed up because of how handsome it made him look. I really needed to stop looking at him like that, but ever since that kiss I just saw him differently. I gulped as I remembered the issue at hand - I needed to tell him about my date with Blake. “Er, Clay, I need to tell you something but I don’t want you to get annoyed or yell at me or anything. Agreed?” I asked, nervously playing with my hands in my lap.

“Okay, I won’t get mad, I promise. What’s wrong?” he asked. I could hear the concern in his voice; he obviously already thought this was going to be something bad. He pulled into the school parking lot but we didn’t move to get out. I didn’t say anything, I couldn’t think of how to phrase it. He was going to go crazy for sure. He’d already told me to stay away from Blake. “Riley?” he prompted, taking my hand and rubbing soothing circles in the back of it with his thumb.

I took a deep breath before speaking, “Okay, well, I went out with Blake Chambers last night. And, I’m… well, I’m seeing him again tomorrow.” I quickly looked out of the windshield, not wanting to see his expression. He drew in a sharp breath through his teeth, and I grimaced, waiting for him to explode.

“You went out with him?” he whispered.

I frowned, a little taken aback. That really wasn’t the reaction I expected. I looked over at him; he looked so sad that I almost cried. I moved over to sit on his lap and wrapped my arms around his neck, putting my forehead to his.

“I’m sorry. I know you don’t like him, but he was actually really sweet to me,” I assured him.

He had his eyes squeezed shut, and his hands were clenched into fists on the seat, his jaw clenched tight. He didn’t say anything so I reached down and put his arms around my waist, just needing a little affection because his silence was killing me. He didn’t unclench his fists, but he left his arms around me which I took as a good sign.

“It was fun. I had a nice time,” I continued.

He snapped his eyes open and pulled his head back from mine, his expression turning angry. “Did you sleep with him, Riley?” he spat venomously.

I gasped in shock. Did I sleep with him? Is he seriously asking me that? “How in the hell can you ask me that? It was a first date for goodness sake, Clay! Is that what you really think of me? That I’m a slut?” I snapped, opening his door and climbing out, stomping off angrily. I was seriously angry with him. The damn boy slept with anything that moved, but yet he had the nerve to judge me?

I heard footsteps behind me before he grabbed my hand, pulling me to a stop. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked that, I know you wouldn’t have. It’s just that he’s such a player. That’s all he wants you for,” he said, frowning angrily.

“Oh, so the only thing I’m good for is sex, is it?” I shouted, shaking my head at him in disbelief. We were starting to draw a crowd now people were stopping to listen to us shout at each other.

“You know that’s not what I think! But he will, trust me!” he shouted back, making me flinch from the anger in his voice.

“Clay, what the hell? Is it so hard to comprehend that someone might want to be with me, for me? You think I’m good for nothing else?” I asked, hurt that he could think of me that way.