Always You - chapter 6

Copyright © 2010 - 2012 Kirsty Moseley

                                                               Chapter Six

Clay insisted on being there when Blake picked me up the following night - much to my embarrassment. He stayed downstairs while I got ready; I didn’t know what we were doing tonight so I went for a denim skirt that cut off at mid-thigh, and a fitted black button-down shirt with a red lacy bra underneath that you could see a little if you looked closely enough, which I assumed Blake would do. I went for ballet flats in case we were walking anywhere. For ease, I pulled my hair up into a twist at the back so that it was casual but also looked smart in case we went to a restaurant or something.

I was ready early so I went downstairs to wait with Clay. As I walked in his eyes went wide and his mouth popped open for a split second before he rearranged his expression and gulped.

“Do I look that bad? Should I change?” I asked, looking down at myself.

“No, you look beautiful, Riley. It’s just, maybe you should put on a different shirt, you can see your bra in that one,” he said, frowning and rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

I laughed. “That’s the whole point. That’s how you wear it. You’ve seen this before,” I countered, shaking my head at him.

“Yeah well I wasn’t trying to get into your pants like he will. He’ll see that as an invitation!” he snapped, then immediately looked apologetic. “Sorry, I didn’t mean that. I’m just a little worried, that’s all,” he said, slowly looking me over again.

After a couple of seconds he didn’t speak, and I started to feel a little uncomfortable. Why on earth was he looking at me like that? His eyes were lingering over my breasts and legs. Holy crap, is Clay lusting after me? “Clay, are you checking me out?” I cried a little shocked. Oh God, please say yes and kiss me again!

He jumped about a mile in the air and looked around a little guiltily. “No,” he answered loudly, shifting on his feet, clearly uncomfortable.

Wow, he really was checking me out. I guess that just proved how much of a player that he was if he would look at me the same way he looks at all his other girls.

I laughed nervously, not really knowing what to say. “Seriously, I was joking,” I said quickly. He sighed and resumed rubbing his neck. “You’re not going to embarrass me are you?” I asked, looking at him pleadingly.

“I just want to talk to him, that’s all,” he replied just as the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it,” I chirped, turning to run into the hallway. But he grabbed my hand and pulled me behind him, laughed wickedly and ran to the door first.

“Better luck next time, little girl,” he teased as he opened the door, still laughing.

“Hey, Clay. Long time no see,” Blake greeted easily.

“I’ll be right back,” Clay muttered, pushing me backwards and stepping outside. As he started to shut the door behind him, I rammed my hand against the door stopping it from shutting in my face.

“Clay, are you serious?” I asked, shocked. Was he really going outside to speak to Blake in private? “What am I, like five? You can’t threaten him in front of me?” I asked, slapping the back of his head lightly.

Blake chuckled. “It’s okay. Let’s let him get it off his chest,” he suggested, winking at me playfully as he pulled the door closed. I just stood there shocked, my mouth hanging open like an idiot. As soon as the door closed the shock was gone so I quickly put my ear to the door, trying to listen to what they were talking about. The only thing I could hear was muffled voices, no distinct words. I sighed and went to sit on the stairs to wait.