Ding Dom -9

Liam looked at his reflection one last time in the cars mirror. He did a breath check and hopped out the car. The door was open. It creaked when he pushed it open and walked through.

The door was open, laughter and light emanated from the warmly lit living room.

"Cassidy?" He gently called.

He walked in, to see Cassidy sitting on the couch, pizza in hand, laughing loudly with a man who sat opposite her.

In-between sputters of laughter she spoke. "Oh hi Liam, this is my old friend Dominic, he surprised me this afternoon." They both rose from their seats and stood to meet Liam.

He nodded subtly when she quickly mouthed the word, 'human,' to him.

The man, slightly older than them both had kind eyes and he greeted Liam like he was an old friend. Immediately Liam lowered his guard.

He spoke with a strong French accent and drank his wine like a connoisseur.

"Ah Cassy, finally I meet the man that has stolen your heart, no?"

He didn't wait for Cassidy to respond before patting Liam on the back, "You take care of this one, eh?"

A glass of wine and a few pieces of pizza later, everyone was relaxed an enjoying the evening. Dominic had begun to tell the very dramatic story of how Cassidy and him at met, nearly a decade ago. Liam listened, riveted that he would find out more about Cassidy's past.

"So I was driving through a small town when my car ran out of petrol. I stopped at eh, how you say, 'diner' to have some breakfast. I was feeling very sad and hungry but," He gestured to Cassidy, "my waitress was the most beautiful thing I had seen in America so far."

Cassidy laughed thinking back to the day.

"Liam, let me tell you, she looked so out of place. Like a ruby in a swamp."

Both Liam and Cassidy threw each other an incredulous look at the weird expression.

Dominic laughed before continuing, "I was severely hungover and was ready to go home, but this one,  brought me some pancakes and a cup of coffee. And hear my words Liam, they were the most amazing pancakes that I have ever put in my mouth."

Cassidy giggled and interjected, "He practically licked his plate clean."

Dominic abruptly stopped laughing and went serious. Liam didn't think the emotion suited his face that was filled with lines from smiling too much. "I asked her to marry me you know."

Liam's eyes widened as he looked between Cassidy and Dominic, whose expression had not returned. His face was now filled with laughter. "She looked so frightened."

"I was!" Cassidy exclaimed, "I didn't think my pancakes were that amazing!"

Dominic kissed his fingertips to his lips, "They were Magnifique."

"I think you were drunk."

Waving a silencing hand at Cassidy, he turned to Liam. "I asked her to marry me and do you know what this little minx said to me?"

Liam had to stop himself from snorting.

"She said, Sir. I can't marry you, but I can get you another cup of coffee. And the phone number of the hospital down the street."

=======

The rest of the evening continued in the same tone. Dominic had many things to say about Cassidy and himself, all of which Liam found hilarious and fascinating.