Chapter 10

"Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us and that's what we need. Without him these things could run wild. We got Stark up top, he's gonna need us..." Steve paused as two figures on a motorcycle came into view. The group was confused, until the motorcycle got closer. There was a silence as Bruce (Hulk had given him control after a few people screamed at the sight), and Nico came into view.

"It's a long story." Nico shrugged, "We're here to fight."

"Good." Steve responded, "We need all the help we can get."

"Stark, we got em'." Steve said into his earpiece, Tony must've responded, because Steve said after a moment, "Yep, just like you said."

There was a loud sound, and the group immediately got into a fighting stance. Tony was in the suit, a giant leviathan Chitauri following him as he flew towards the group. Bruce started walking fearlessly towards the alien, a smirk on his lips.

"Dr. Banner," Steve said, "Now might be a really good time to get angry."

"That's my secret Cap," Bruce smirked, "I'm always angry." Bruce turned, and when he was facing the leviathan, Hulk's green fist swung around. The creature from space flipped over, and Tony blew up the giant with a missile, sending the miniscule pieces of it's remains everywhere. Then, to make things worse, more of the Chitauri creatures came through.

"Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash." Steve ordered. Tony, and Hawkeye left to do as he said, and he turned to Thor, "Thor, you've gotta try and bottleneck that portal. Slow them down. You've got the lightning. Light the bastards up." Steve looked at Nico, and paused, not knowing Nico's skill set.

"I can teleport through shadows, summon the undead, do minimal magic -- learned from Loki, fight with a sword, or daggers, and anything else I can create from the shadows. I have more powers that aren't as strong" Nico offered.

"Alright." Steve nodded, "Shadow, go summon an some of the undead; we need more soldiers, then go to help civilians," Steve paused, before turning to Nico and saying in a softer, more fatherly voice, "and cover your face; the paparazzi will be all over this."

"Yes, sir." Nico nodded, his voice completely serious (but his lips twitched upwards), before evaporating into shadows. When he appeared, he was wearing a skull - like viking helmet, a black trench coat jacket, a black shirt, a chain belt with his sword (The sword was called mörk skugga, meaning Dark Shadow in Swedish, one of the many, many languages of Asgard. Not to mention it was a secret gift from Loki), and black jeans. He stepped out onto the pavement, before stabbing his sword into the ground, and an army appeared. Nico smiled, his hands on his hips as he watched the Chitauri lunge at Nico's skeletons only to gawk as the skeletons reformed and stood back up.

"Alright," Nico ordered the surrounding skeletons, "Kill the aliens, and don't scare any citizens...." There was a scream as a lady ran away from the skeletons, "Nevermind, just... fight the aliens, and nothing else, ok?"

The skeletons nodded, and charged into battle. Nico shook his head in amusement before turning and getting civilians out of the battlefield. Once all civilians were out, Nico looked up, seeing the Chitauri in flying chariots. Nico was pretty sure Zeus couldn't sense him, since he spent so long on the helicarrier, so he ran into the shadows. He came out in mid air, lunging onto a Chitauri in their chariot, and knocking the body out of the vehicle. Nico recalled reading about how magic can help you learn to use different vehicles in Loki's books, and, after a quick spell, was able to control the war machine that he was in. He started shooting other aliens, and made his way to Stark Tower.

He flipped off the machine, and pulled out his sword, pointing it at Loki. While his body was threatening, his eyes were studying his friend sadly, knowing he might never see Loki the same again after this battle.

Then, Loki yelled something at the Hulk who then beat him up. Loki was left on the ground, and he whined softly as he felt the pain from being pummeled.

Suddenly a nuclear bomb came out of the clouds. There was a commotion in the city, and, after a few seconds, Nico realized that it was a SHIELD bomb. He gasped as Tony grabbed the bomb, and brought it towards the portal. Nico was almost to the tower, and he screamed as Tony entered the portal.

"TONY!" Nico couldn't hide his fear, and everyone's eyes shot upwards. All of New York held their breath in silent horror as Tony Stark knowingly flew to his doom.

KABOOM!

The sound echoed throughout the city, and Nico watched in terror as his friend risked his life. He watched as the portal started to close, and at the last minute Tony came out. Gravity took it's place, and Nico was still too far away to save Tony. Then, Hulk jumped up, and caught Tony. Nico flew towards where his friend could be dying or dead, and watched as Tony's helmet came off. Tony wasn't moving. Nico stood there helplessly as he dreaded the feeling of death that would come if Tony died. Then the Hulk roared, and Tony's head snapped up. He rambled something about Shawarma, but Steve interrupted him.

"We're not finished yet." Thor reminded Tony.

Tony threw his head back in disappointment, "Shawarma later?"

The group turned to Loki who flinched, "I would like to have that drink now."

Nico and Thor were the only ones who saw Loki's eyes flicker, turning a horrified, traumatised green before returning to the cold hearted, regretless blue. Nico realized then that if anyone was going to figure out how to do Loki's spells that could reverse this cruel fate, then it would be someone who watched Loki learn, and read the same books that Loki had. The only person who's done that was Nico. He stared at his old friend, and made a promise to himself right there and then; as long as Loki wasn't in control, Nico would be studying spells to save him.

However, right now, he was going to see Thor off and get Shawarma.