eight

phil

my fingertips trace the sunlight that illuminates the polished table, bouncing my knees impatiently as i wait for dan. he's taking an awfully long time to get our order and i'm pretty sure i heard our names being called approximately five minutes ago. i sigh, rolling my eyes and stretching my arms in front of me before getting up and deciding to check on him.

a woman is sweeping the floor in muted irritation and when i look around, dan is nowhere to be seen. i scratch the back of my head in confusion. where the hell did he go? the girl standing next to me is chewing on her nails anxiously, her hair pulled away from her face in a messy fashion.

"hey, um," i begin awkwardly and she turns her head towards me. freckles mark her nose and cheeks and her eyes are one of the brightest i've seen in a while.

"yeah?"

"h-have you seen a tall guy with curly hair around here?" why the hell am i stuttering? maybe i'm just worried about dan.

"oh," she bites her lip nervously and looks away. "um, i think he's the one i bumped into, he must be in the bathroom,"

"bumped into?"

"yeah he spilled the drinks and then ran off, i think i really embarrassed him," she pokes her tongue out of her mouth and licks her lips. "tell him i'm sorry," she shoots me an apologetic smile and there's something about her that makes me smile back.

"alright," i push my hair off my forehead. "thanks,"

there are three single stalls for male, female and disabled bathrooms so i tap my knuckles twice on the male one. when i get no response i'm a hundred percent sure it's dan, so i call out his name softly.

"dan?" no answer. "it's me, phil, open the door,"

"go away,"

"dan,"

"not right now phil,"

"open the door," i try not to get annoyed and leave him here. he overreacts a lot.

"no,"

"i'm gonna yell your name if you don't open the door," he doesn't answer. jesus christ. "i'm doing it,"

the door unlocks and he pops out his head, his eyelashes are wet and he's biting his lip. did he seriously cry because he spilled the drinks?

"are you really crying?" i roll my eyes and he attempts to close the door shut again but i push against it before he can, walking in and closing it behind me. his shirt has a wet patch on the front and he doesn't meet my eyes as he sits on the closed lid of the pot, sniffing and wiping his eyes.

"have you cleaned your shirt?" i ask and he shakes his head a no. i sigh loudly and wet a few tissues before sitting on my knees in front of him and wiping the sticky drink from his shirt.

"hey," i throw the used tissues in the bin and grab his hands to make him look at me. "it's okay,"

"yeah," he says in a small voice, nodding his head way too much to be considered convincing.

"dan, really, it's fine," i'm so bad at comforting him. and anybody else in general.

"okay,"

"do you wanna go back home? we can skip class today," i say in hopes of cheering him up but i know he hates to miss class so it's a poor attempt, all in all.

"i'm not skipping class,"

"of course you're not,"

"just go phil," he sighs, pulling his hands out of mine and standing up. he straightens his shirt and fixes his hair and i get off the floor, staring at him in confusion.

"are you mad at me. . ." i rub the back of my neck.

"no," he unlocks the door and walks out. i huff out a breath and follow him.

"she said sorry by the way," i say once we're out of starbucks, just to break the silence, and dan's eyes widen.

"w-who?"

"the girl who bumped into you," i shrug and i watch as his body stiffens a little.

"you met her?"

"yeah?" i say slowly, slightly confused at his reaction.

"oh," he looks away. "how was she?"

"what?" that's such an odd question to ask about a stranger.

"did you like her?"

"uh," i scrunch my nose in confusion. dan is acting really weird. "yeah she was alright i guess? why?"

"nothing," he shakes his head. "i just thought she was pretty,"

"oh, yeah, i guess she was pretty," we're not too far from university now. "do you like her or something? is that why you were so embarrassed?"

"god, no, she probably has a soulmate,"

"how do you know that?" we enter the gates and i watch as dan runs his fingers through his hair.

"all the pretty ones do,"

--
this is shit thx
- annanya