Chapter 4-6

Chapter 4: The Messengers

Isaac threw a solid right hook into the punching bag hanging before him, the sound of the blow reverberating through his family's basement. He threw another hook, then threw a quick roundhouse kick with his left leg. Following through, he shot off a vicious thrust kick that knocked the bag off its support. Sweating profusely, he stooped and picked the bag up, mounting it once again on the hook in the ceiling of the basement. Annoyed that it continually fell, he tried surrounding the hook with ice. He raised his hand and concentrated on the hook, but all he did was create a bubble of water around it. He frowned and pushed harder, but blew the hook out of the ceiling with a blast of wind. With a growl of frustration, he kicked the bag and stomped back up into the house. He stormed into his room, slammed the door, and flopped onto his bed. Why was he, of all people, the only person that was supposed to use Ice alchemy. It was always Ice this, Ice that. He just wanted a normal life, like any other person that could kill someone with a wave of their hand.

"Isaac?" his mother called. "There's someone here to see you!"

It was probably some kids coming over, wanting him to make ice cubes or something. Better to scare them off now than let them continue ringing the door. He stomped back out to the door, and threw it open. His frown turned into a look of surprise, his mouth slightly ajar as he gazed at the sight in front of him. A young woman, probably early twenties with long brown hair stood in his doorway. Her bright blue eyes sparkled as she smiled at him.

"Isaac Matthews?" She inquired, her voice strong, yet gentle at the same time. "I'm Emily Reynolds, I represent the Steam nation. Could I ask you a few questions?"

"Uh, y-yeah, sure. Come on in." He managed to stutter after bringing his eyes back to Emily's face. "Is there anything I can get you?"

"A glass of water would be fine, thank you." She said with a smile.

Isaac went to the kitchen and poured a glass of water, bringing at back to Emily. She took a sip, opened the notebook she had held in her arm, and wrote something down. Then she turned back to Isaac and said, "Well, I'm sure you're curious as to why I'm here Isaac. Let me ask you first, have you ever heard of the Children of the Planet?"

"Yeah, it's a kid's story about six people who can use the combined elements. You think it's true?"

"As a matter of fact I do, as do the King and Queen of the Steam nation and the research division they assigned to it. I'm part of that division, and I've been sent here to find the Ice alchemist. We were told that you've exhibited the ability to create and control both wind and water by yourself, so I came to investigate."

"Well, I've been able to use both, yeah. But, I can't be the only one can I?" Isaac asked.

"As far as we know, you are." Emily replied.

Ajani walked for several days and night, the black object becoming seemingly further away. He started to wonder if it was simply a mirage, but then decided that heading there was better than nothing. He would rather die with a goal in mind than without. As the days passed, he began to grow hungry, well, hungrier than usual. But the worst part was the thirst. The terrible thirst. He had gone for what felt like weeks without water. The only way he had survived was by drinking drops of liquid from the plants he encountered. Finally, when he had given up counting the days, Ajani fell to the ground, giving up. His body refused to move, and he let it rest. His eyes began to waver, and he felt himself slipping out of consciousness. Without the will or strength to live, he fell into the welcoming darkness.