4:

It's been two weeks since that day I told Jack to leave me alone and it's our first game against Burke High.

It's after school and the coach has us crammed in the locker room doing homework before the game.

"Hey coach, can I run down to my locker and get my calculus book?" I ask.

"Yeah, go ahead," she says.

I run out of the locker room and I casually walk once I reach the classrooms.

Now I reach the front entrance and see Jack standing there.

"Jack?" I question, he's never really here after school.

He turns around and he looks sad, very sad.

"Are you uh, okay?" I ask, my voice shaking at every word.

"Leigh and I broke up."

I cup my mouth at his words.

Yes! No. No stop, stop Hayley, talk to him.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Nothing, I just think it's my fault."

I cringe at my fault, it makes me feel bad. I wonder.

"Hey Jack, hey, it's not your fault at all. I'm sure things happened for a reason. But you have to see it as a positive thing. Maybe she exactly wasn't the one for you and now is the opportunity to find someone who is. You're still young J."

He cracks a smile.

"Thanks Hay," he says, but his face still looks sad.

"Cheer up bud, but I got to go."

"Good luck Hay."

Jack gives me a hug, a full one this time. I quickly pull away.

"Thanks Gilinsky, text you later."

I ran to my locker and put in the combination.

"Damn," I whisper, thinking about what just happened a little while ago. My phone beeps.

GILINSKY❤️ : Text Message

Why would he be texting me right now? I open the message up.

For the record Hayley, you look really good in a jersey. But I wanted to say, Leigh actually broke up with me.

Leigh actually broke up with me. Leigh actually broke up with me. Leigh. Actually. Broke. Up. With. Me. I kept re-reading the words over and over again.

"Oh my God."

I grab my book and close my locker. I walk back towards the gym. I had a feeling when he said it was his fault.

Dang I'm so sorry Jack. Are you truly okay?

Practically seconds later he answers.

Yeah, I guess I'm okay. I really loved her Hay.

I know you did.

I know Jack. But like I said, it's not your fault and maybe it just wasn't meant to be. It's a positive thing J. Things are gonna be okay, something better is in store 😊

I know Hay. Damn I'm gonna miss her.

I know. I get to the locker room.

Jack, got to go. Almost time to get ready to play. I'll try to text you later.