Chapter 3

Coulson watched as Tony walked towards the donut shop, not even noticing him standing by the corner of an alley.

            “Stark over here.” Phil called.

            Tony saw him and walked over. “Why are you over here you said we were getting donuts.”

            “I said to meet me by the donut shop not that we would be eating donuts.”

            Tony glared at him before noticing what he was holding. “You didn’t tell me you had a kid. What’s its name?”

            “I don’t have a kid, and I think you should know his name, he is yours right?” Coulson moved the blanket back enough to show Tony the little boy’s face, Tony paled slightly and looked at him.

            “I don’t know what you’re playing at… I don’t have any kids.”

            “Oh but you do, two in fact, well until your son here died.”

            Tony laughed to hide how nervous he was getting. “And why do you think I have kids?”

            “Jade told me.” Coulson watched his face turn paler, “If you want we can do a DNA test.”

            “N-no that’s fine…”

            “Oh but I insist. I’ll be arriving later with this little guy’s results then we can get a blood sample from you.”

            With that Coulson left Tony to do as he pleased, he got into his car and drove to where an agent had brought a jet to pick him up in. When he got to S.H.I.E.L.D. the other agents looked at the bundle in his arms curiously but didn’t say anything about it, he made his way into the lab where some scientists were working on the phase one prototypes Fury had ordered after finding the tesseract.

            “Agent Coulson how can we help you?” One of the scientists asked.

            “I need a DNA test done on this little kid, and I need it done within two hours.”

            “Of course, I’ll have some men on it right away.”

            Phil nodded before lying the body on a cleared table and leaving, he had to find Jade before something similar happened to her, Tony might deny they’re his children but Phil wouldn’t let innocent children die. Besides, a few weeks ago Fury had been grumbling about the lack of new agents being recruited.

            Jade had waited in a dark alley for over an hour, afraid that if she came out that agent she’d met earlier would find her. No matter how nice he acted she didn’t believe he would help her, no one ever did why would anyone now? Once the second hour, or what she guessed was the second hour judging by the sun, passed she came out from hiding to search for more food. She managed to find a food cart that was still open while a woman with red hair a little past her shoulders handed people food, the lady glanced at her but turned back around and played with something by her ear. Jade kept her eye on the red hair lady cautiously as she moved closer to the cart, the customers walked away and the lady started to close down for the night. She made a quick dash towards the cart but felt someone grab her before she could move out of the way.

            “Let go!” Jade struggled to escape and managed to see the woman holding her in a surprisingly strong grip.

            The woman put a hand to her ear and Jade realized it had a small communicator in it. “Coulson I have her just like you asked.”

            “Let go, I don’t want to go to the orphanage!” She kicked the woman in the stomach but her escape attempts didn’t seem to affect the lady.

            Jade watched as Phil calmly made his way into view ten minutes later. “Good work agent Romanoff. I just finished a productive talk with Mr. Stark.”

            “Why do you want to take me to an orphanage? I’ll just run away, I’ve done it before they don’t care about kids at all!” Jade growled and struggled weakly.

            “We aren’t taking you to any type of Child Service Centers. I’m offering you a chance to help others eventually and have a better life.” Phil told her.

            “What do you mean?”

            Nat felt her stop struggling and loosened her grip enough so Jade was more comfortable. “He means you could work for us, S.H.I.E.L.D.”

            “But why were you talking with my dad?”

            “To warn him about what he did was wrong and if we ever found him doing it again how I’ll kill him.”

            “I want to help!” Jade replied and smiled slightly.