2.Acceptance

Hyemin

I was strolling down my favorite alleyway carrying poptarts for my grandma. Unlike someone who's fragile and old, she absolutely loves poptarts.

I was busy admiring the artful and unique alleyway when something suddenly popped in my mind.

I hope I get accepted.
I've been applying for scholarship to study in the most prestigious university in Seoul and find a way to make money. I have to take care of grandma who's apparently sick and its hard here in Daegu to actually take care of her in this small deserted town but it's my favorite place in the whole world.

People just doesn't see the beauty behind this lovely town.

The people here are kind, the air is fresh, the food is good and the town itself is filled with life even though the population is quite small.

"I'm home!"
I said, opening our half-lived door which looks like it's just been eaten. No one actually replied to my sudden outburst.

I then realized that grandma was napping and my uncle and aunt must have gone out to gamble all this weeks salary in a whoosh.

My parents have passed away in a crash last September but I haven't been able to mope around like other kids because I'm busy searching for a way to pay rent and educate myself at the same time. My mom and dad were never the parent figures in my life, they don't care about how I live and I don't feel as sad as I should feel when I lost them. People called me heartless and inhuman when I didn't cry at their funeral..

Well, who can they blame?

My parents have left some amount of money for me but my gold digger of an uncle and aunt took all the money away and spent all of it in a stupid lottery ticket and my aunt had to do some shopping.

I couldn't say anything because they somehow have a job and I don't. At least they're janitors.

My grandma is the only person I love in this world, she's always been the one comforting me and helping me all my life. She did everything what my parents couldn't.
Unfortunately, she's been diagnosed with lung cancer but it was discovered early so the disease didn't spread and she's been taken care of by the best doctors here in Daegu. But good doctors meant expensive bills and I need to find a way to pay for her medications in order for her to live longer with me.

That's why I need that scholarship for college.

To find a job that pays a college student enough and juggle uni with it.

I slowly opened the door to my grandma's bedroom and found her sleeping peacefully in her rocking chair with a book pressed to her chest and her specs hanging on the tip of her nose.

I quietly stepped in, afraid to wake up my sleeping beauty. She may be 61 years old now but she still doesn't look a day old to me. She always complains about how much she hates her wrinkles and grey hair but I always cut her off and compliment her, always.

She must've heard my plastic bag ruffling while I was walking, she slightly shifted from her sleep and opened her eyes. As soon as she saw me , she smiled at me and opened her arms in which I dived in.

She smells like vanilla.

"Look, grandma, I brought you poptarts, your favorite!"
I said raising up my plastic bag and her eyes lit up.
"Aww, thank you sweetie. I love you so much."
She said kissing all over my face.

How can God punish someone so soft with cancer? She doesn't deserve this.

I giggled at her action and handed her the peanut butter and graham crackers flavored poptarts.

"Here, you have a bite too, sweetie."
She offered me but I lightly shook my head and smiled.
"I'm fine as long as you're happy, grandma."

And the next day, I received a mail from Seoul University Of Performing Arts.