12

I sat with one arm around Jessie on the couch as Dean placed the figure of Cas on the mantle. Sam was looking at the floor. Jessie looked up at me. “You said he was your friend.” He said looking at me. I nodded.

“His name is Cas. He’s kind of an idiot. About everything. And he’s really stupid. His dad ran away and left him alone with all his brothers and he’s the youngest so they pick on him a lot. He recently left them and is confused about himself. He’s kind of crazy right now. Sick crazy. We’ll fix him though.” I said giving Jessie a squeeze. He nodded and looked down at his lap. Then at the doll.

“I did that. But how did I do that?” Jessie asked. God he was smart. I was trying to think about how to approach it when Dean butted his big head in.

“You’re a super hero.” He said. Jessie perked up.

“I am?”

“Yeah! Who else could turn Cas into a toy? You’re superman. Minus the cape and the go-go boots.” He said with a smile. Jessie seemed to like the idea, so I went with it.

“You have super powers, and they are very strong. But with great power comes great responsibility. You need to be careful how you use those powers and when you use them.” I said. Dean knelt down in front of us.

“See, we all work for a secret government agency. It’s our job to find kids with special powers. In fact we’re here to take you to a hidden base in South Dakota,” Sam and I looked at him, but he just kept pushing. “Where you’ll be trained to fight evil.” He said importantly. Jessie was excited but also a bit skeptical. Then suddenly…

“Like the X-men?” He asked, his voice one avocado away from a veggie platter.

“Exactly like the X-men.” Dean said happily. “In fact the guy we’re taking you to, he’s even in a wheel chair.” Dean said standing.

“Hey! That’s my dad!” I said angrily. Dean just smiled at me. “Which is why he’s the trainer. He trained me and look how powerful I am. Trained Sam too before his powers fizzed out. He was fighting a bad guy and the bad guy stole it.” I whispered conspiratorially. Sam gave me a look and I raised an eyebrow.

“You’ll be a hero! You’ll save lives, you’ll get the girl. Sounds like fun right?” Dean said in an upbeat tone. Then my stomach lurched. Demon. I held Jessie’s hand as Dean flew against the wall. The mother walked in, her eyes black.

“They’re lying to you.” She said smoothly. I looked at Jessie and he stared up at me.

“Jessie have faith in me and I will help you through this. I swear.” I said as Sam charged the demon. He nodded and I looked to the demon bitch. I glowered at her, holding out one hand and stretching my wings wide. “Demons are not welcome in an angel’s house. Go now or I’ll return you to the pit.” I said. She smirked at me and waved her hand. I forced myself to stay, until Dean smashed into me sending us both careening across the room. I squeezed my eyes shut and we landed in a pile of snow. Somewhere cold. I sat up and shook my head. I grabbed Dean and we went back to the house. The woman was stalking to Jessie.

“Is that why they leave you alone all day? Because they love you so much?” She was saying.

“That’s exactly why.” I said stepping forward. The woman snarled at me, but I waved a hand and she froze. She was struggling, and I couldn’t hold her forever but I looked at Jessie. “Yes, you stay home alone all day, but your parents make money for you to eat, and have clothes, and toys. It’s thanks to them you have everything here. They work all day so they can come home and see you, because they love you and want to provide for you. I know it’s hard to understand, but you have to trust me on this. My parents did the same-” I was thrown against the wall. I gasped for air as a sickening crack came from my right wing. The demon had broken out. She smiled at me.