Chapter Eighteen: After the Battle

After the battle, Bumblestripe's body was buried in the quiet shade of a tall oak. Nobody ever learned the truth about him, and perhaps it was for the best...okay I'm done messing with you guys he isn't dead I'm just kidding okay here's the real chapter. Sorry if you get upset about that fake segment up there xD

Dawnpelt writhed beneath the strong black forepaw that held her to the ground. "What are you doing? He killed my brother! Let me finish him off!"

Blackstar's eyes were cold as ice. "I saw it happen. But it was an accident. Bumblestripe is a good cat. He would've never killed any warrior intentionally. He was just protecting his sister."

Oh, really? Good cat? Accident? Never killed any warrior? Well, isn't that funny?

So it was Blackstar who had pinned Dawnpelt to the ground. Nice to know.

I wondered if I was dead and watching this as a ghost. I wondered if Mapleshade would come in a moment to lead me to the prison called the Dark Forest. After all, I had no hopes of making it to StarClan. Had I failed? I had sworn I would not, sworn I would never fail.

Blackstar turned to face Bramblestar. "Take your cats and go home. There's been enough death for one day. This battle was unprovoked and unnecessary."

I couldn't feel my body, and that was frightening. I was about to panic when I felt a dull ache in my spine and a searing pain shoot up my side and my stomach. My head throbbed and I felt dizzy as I clawed my way back into consciousness.

The sickening, overpowering, bitter scent of herbs hit my nostrils. I struggled to suck air into my lungs and every breath was agony.

But that didn't matter.

What mattered was that I was alive.

Through blurred vision, I made out the emotionless face of Jayfeather. His blind blue eyes revealed nothing. He pushed a pile of herbs towards me. "Finally, you're awake. Great StarClan, you had every cat in camp panicking. Bramblestar was whining like a kit when he came in to check on you. 'Jayfeather, please save him! Oh Jayfeather, I don't wanna lose a loyal warrior cuz then I will be very sad! And you don't want that! Jayfeather, I will get angry if he dies!' Well if you had died it would've been his fault for being an idiot. Now eat these so that you'll get better and I can make Bramblestar shut up." 

I tried to sit up but couldn't stop the yowl of agony as fire ignited on my side and quickly traveled from my lower body to my head. I could picture the flames eating at my flesh, consuming it. I was certain I would see them if I looked at my wounds. But when I took a glance I only saw pale, pink scars that laced across my left side and my stomach.

I licked up the herbs. They tasted bitter and I coughed, tempted to spit them out. I swallowed with reluctance and then laid as still as possible, because even the slightest movement hurt.

I closed my eyes, the taste of the herbs still in my mouth, and eventually drifted into a dreamless sleep.

When I woke, I noticed Briarlight in one corner of the den, quietly sorting herbs. I ignored her and pretended as if I was still asleep. 

My side felt numb, and I assumed Jayfeather had put some herb on my wounds. There were some cobwebs plastered on the largest cuts.

I heard some scraping sounds and opened my eyes a little bit, just enough to make out Briarlight dragging herself over to me. "I know you're awake."

I groaned. "Just leave me alone. I don't want to talk to you. After all, I bet Millie didn't even give me a second glance when she came in to visit."

"Oh, so you're jealous now? Of me? Out of all the cats in this Clan, you're jealous of me!" Briarlight glared at me as if I had killed her mother...which might happen soon. "When I'm crippled and I can't hunt and..."

"If you're looking for pity, go talk to Millie," I grumbled.

I expected her to bother me more, but she simply gave a sigh which spoke of a world of misery and anguish, and then returned to sorting herbs. A little while later, Millie hurried into the den.
I was right. She didn't even look at me. Her concern was all for Briarlight.

As soon as I get better Millie, you will be the first one to go.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed, sorry for the wait. Here you go! Thanks for all the comments on the last chapter! :D