Prologue

Prologue

I stared at her beautiful gray fur and felt a strong wave of emotion rise up. I couldn't let a cat like her walk away from me. I had to let her know how I felt about her.

I couldn't help but feel nervous as I walked up to her. She stopped eating her fresh-kill and looked up. "Hey, Bumblestripe," she meowed. "What is it?"

"Um, d-do you want t-to go hunting w-with me?" I stammered.

"As soon as I finish my fresh-kill," she replied.

"Alright," I meowed happily, trotting over to the camp entrance.

She joined me a short while later. "Where do you want to hunt?" I asked, feeling as nervous as I always did when I was alone with her.

She thought for a moment before replying, "Near the abandoned Twoleg nest."

On the way towards the abandoned Twoleg nest, I finally summoned the courage to say what I had been thinking for a long time. "Dovewing," I began nervously. "I love you. Do you want to be my mate?"

She stared at me for a long time with- was the sorrow in her sparkling green eyes? "I-I'm sorry, Bumblestripe," she meowed quietly. "I don't think we feel the same way about each other. How about we just be friends?"

My heart broke more with every word she spoke. Sudden anger rose up in my chest. "I don't need you as just a friend! In fact, I don't need you at all, you stupid she-cat!" I shouted. "I'm sick of caring about you when you don't care at all about me!"

 "Bumblestripe..." Dovewing began, staring at me with pain in her eyes.

"Save it for a cat who cares!" I yowled.

I spun around and stomped back to camp.