Chapter 2 ~ Goodbye

"I'm sorry," said Claire "but, who are you?"

"Oh no, I'm sorry, I forgot to introduce myself, my name is Lisa Simmons and I'm your stepmother," she told Claire "Hasn't your father told you about me?"

She looked back at her father and saw a guilty look on his face.It went terribly silent.

"It's time." said Captain Peterson

Even though Claire's father didn't say much, Claire knew what he was talking about. A tear came down her father's face and Claire bursted in tears. She hugged her father for a good five minutes and they let go. Captain Peterson quickly hugged Lisa and went back in the carriage.

A girl came out of the house. "Oh good, the servant has arrived."

Claire looked behind herself , but there was no-one there. She went up to the girl and introduced herself. "Hello, my name is Claire, Claire Peterson."

"Well I'm Lilly, Lilly Simmons," she said proudly. "Now go clean my room." She said in a loud clear voice and it almost seemed that she practiced many times saying that. I was confused.

The stepmother went up to Claire. "You will do as your told, or you will be thrown outside and you won't survive out there by yourself.

I went inside and looked around. The house looked very old with old furniture. there was two bedrooms, one kichen conected to the loundroom and a cellar.

"Will I be sleeping with Lilly?" I asked.

"Don't be silly you'll sleep in the cellar where you belong!" Laughed Lisa.

I went to Lilly's room and it looked like world war three happend in there. I started cleaning.

***

I went down to the kitchen and asked my stepmother, "What's for dinner?"

Lisa laughed, "You tell me, you'll be making it."

I ran to the cellar it looked even older than the house. The floor was made of stone and I wasn't even sure what the walls were made of. There was a blanket on the floor. Is this where I had to sleep?