Bloody Mary and bitterness

She was pretty.

A little too pretty to get involved with such a d-bag like Kenny.

She wasn't even paying attention to us. I worried we came all the way for a rejection from the scorned lover of Kenny Carlo.

I didn't know what to say.

"Excuse me." I cleared my throat. "Could you tell me where the bathroom is?"

She looked up and wiped her forehead with her forearm. Soft curls framed her face and light eyes looked me over.

"The big sign that says restrooms." She pointed over her shoulder.

I spun around and gave Slade a silent plea for help.

He stepped up. "How often does this place hire bands?"

She stopped wiping the table. "The pay is horrible and as you can see the stage can hardly hold more than two people."

"A gigs a gig," Slade said.

She put her hands on her hips. "Tell Kenny to go fuck himself."

She rounded the table and walked away from us.

I touched Slade's arm. "I'm going to the bathroom. Come up with another plan while I'm gone." I kissed him and hurried through the crowd.

I needed a moment to collect myself. I refused to let Kenny see me cry.

I shoved the stall shut and burst into tears glad nobody else could hear how pathetic I sounded.

What good was magic if I couldn't use it?

I didn't know how Elliot and Easton would handle the loss of both their parents if we couldn't bring my dad back.

I grabbed a mess of toilet paper and blew my nose, hoping this nightmare would be over soon.

I turned on the water and splashed my face, blotting my eyes. The door opened.

"Sorry, if I'm interrupting something," she said, referring to my crying.

I spun around and tossed the tear stained paper towel into the trash can.

"No worries."

She didn't go into the stall.

"So how do the two of you know Kenny?"

She was direct yet cautious.

Like a wounded dog. One wrong move and I could scare her away.

"He promised to help me out with something." I looked down at my feet. "And I hope he comes through because if he doesn't I don't know what I will do."

She laughed. "Good luck with that. Kenny is only out for himself."

She bit the rubber band on her wrist and pulled her hair into a bun at the mirror.

"I take it you think he's an asshole too?"

She nodded. "That's putting it nicely. Kenny Carlo ruined my life more times than I would like to count. He ruins everything, that's the way he is."

"He's already ruined mine."

She lifted an eyebrow. "Then what the hell are you doing here?"

I had to tell her. Maybe she would feel an ounce of sympathy for me. "He killed my father."

She didn't act surprised.

"And he says you know a way to bring him back."

All the color in her face drained. She stepped forward and backed me into the wall.

"Who the fuck are you?"

"My name is Hope." I swallowed. She was a bit scary.

"Why would that asshole think I would ever help him after what he did to me?"

I shook my head, she grabbed me by the arm and wrenched it behind my back slamming me against the wall.

"You tell that sorry piece of shit to stay far away from me and my family. The next time I see him I will kill him." She headed for the door.

I was grateful to see Slade when it opened.

He stepped inside and turned the lock. "We need your help," Slade said. "We wouldn't be here if we didn't."

She shook her head.

"We have a dead body out in the parking lot. I am not leaving here until someone brings him back to life." Slade flexed his jaw, and crossed his arms.

"Go fuck yourself." She stared him down daring him to make one move. "If I could bring back the dead do you really think I would be a waitress?"

Slade shook his head. "Kenny said you could fix this."

She rolled her eyes. "He's full of shit. I haven't fixed anything in a really long time. It will kill me, and I don't feel like dying, asshole."

I sighed. "I knew this was a waste our time."

Slade shoved the trashcan. "Fuck!"

She scratched her head. "Look, I'm sorry about your father but Kenny knows I can't do this, why would he even bring you two here?" She looked between the two of us for an answer.

I bit my lip. I didn't know if telling her we weren't normal was a good thing or not.

This girl hated Kenny Carlo more than me, and he killed my dad.