Kiss Me Through the Payphone

Of course. Of course this would happen to me, of all people. Stranded in the boonies with a broken down car and nothing but some change I'd found in my cup holder. I'd trekked for what felt like miles of endless desert until I found an obscure payphone which was for some reason hidden among the cacti.

I'd had a rough go of it at the rest stop miles back, running away from greasy men that wanted sexual favors. Unfortunately, I had sped away without grabbing my purse from the picnic table I was eating at, which contained my phone and wallet. My exhilaration was short-lived, as my view through the windshield was obscured soon after by fuming clouds billowing from the hood of my old car. I quickly pulled over, which is how I ended up here.

I racked my mind for a good number to call, since I had just enough change for one. I couldn't call my friends, since most of them were out of the state traveling for the holidays. I twirled my key ring around my finger absentmindedly when a worn plastic tag caught my eye. My eyes widened when I realized it was my Triple A roadside assistance tag, which I had apparently forgotten about since I never had to use it until now. A wave of relief washed over me and I mentally patted my back for being prepared for disaster, which was all too common in my life.

I inserted the coins hurriedly, referring to the worn tag for the number. It was only when I had finished dialing that I realized I had only entered nine digits. I took a closer look at the tag, and sure enough the last digit of the phone number had faded so much that I couldn't make out what it was. It vaguely looked like a '3', so I sent out a silent prayer as I punched in the last number.

If anyone out there is listening, please make this phone call count.

"I told you to stop calling me!" a frustrated male voice articulated. Frustrated, but husky in the most attractive way possible.

"Uh, I'm guessing this isn't Triple A," I replied meekly.

"Oh, I'm so sorry I thought you were my crazy ex-girlfriend calling again. She's already used seven different numbers in the past year," he answered with an awkward laugh. "But on the bright side you've reached the number of a very eligible bachelor!"

"Wow, I just can't catch a break today, can I?" I muttered under my breath.

"I mean you called me by accident, I'd say that's pretty lucky," he joked. "Anyways, are you having car trouble? I can send some help your way if you let me know where you are."

"Yes, I would appreciate that so much," I said. I quickly rattled off a quick description of my surroundings, which seemed to be enough as he immediately knew where I was.

"Fear not, my damsel in distress. Help is on the way," he announced in an exaggerated voice that made me smile.

"Thank you ever so much, kind soul," I said sincerely with a hint of humor. "How can I ever thank you?"

"A date would suffice, since you're apparently in the same area as me," he replied cheekily.

"We'll just have to see about that, won't we?" I countered coyly.

"If you change your mind, you know how to reach me," he sang out teasingly.

"Until then, I'll just leave you with a kiss through the payphone."

---

This one kind of has a personal place in my heart because I once received a phone call that was a wrong number, but instead of hanging up like they usually do, this guy kept talking to me for ten or so minutes since he thought I sounded cute. Share any anecdotes or missed connections you've experienced!