Chapter 1

Seokjin waits as Namjoon digs through his closet. The thing was so full that it looked like everything inside would cause an avalanche.

"Just a little longer!" Namjoon yells with a forced laugh. He said the same thing ten minutes ago.

"Namjoon, you have got to do something with this closet," Seokjin gestured at him. "You can't even see the end of it. I won't be surprised if you went missing in your own closet."

"Ah! I've found it!" Namjoon shouts from within the closet. He tumbled out and Seokjin holds in a laugh. But a second later, he looked in awe at what Namjoon was holding.

A mermaid tail.

"It's cool, isn't it?" he said with a grin. Seokjin watches him lay the tail on his bed, smoothing it out. The tail is turquoise, gold at the very end of the fin and near the waist area.

"It looks so real," he looks over Namjoon's shoulder. "How did you even make this?"

"It's a long process. But I gotta say, after this project, I'm never going to do anything fish related for a while," Namjoon sighs. Seokjin remembered how his friend would examine different types of fish, look at their detailed fins and shiny scales. It went on for many months.

"I saw Yoongi's feathered wings and it was very impressive. If I want to beat him, this mermaid tail needs to be perfect," Namjoon mumbles as he cleans the tail.

"I think it's very well done," Seokjin expresses his opinion. Namjoon smiles at him and steps back until he's next to Seokjin.

"So you're free this weekend?" he asks. Seokjin nods. "Good. We'll go to the beach and try the tail out."

Seokjin leaves Namjoon to put some finishing touches on the mermaid tail. He went out to the beach that Namjoon got to see everyday. Seokjin doesn't live too far from here but he wished that he could be able to wake up to a beautiful view.

It was almost sunset and only a few people around. Seokjin crouches down by the water, staring out into the sea. He looks down at the sand and saw some writing:

'Jimin+Hoseok'

Seokjin smiles at the thought of an adorable couple spending their time together here. The writing is washed away by the tide.

He kept thinking about the mermaid tail that Namjoon made.

What if mermaids were real?

~~

"Hi, Yoongi," Seokjin waves to the said man. He lives two houses over from Namjoon's. Seokjin likes to walk along the beach behind the houses rather than the front. Yoongi is outside, also working on his project. Namjoon wasn't lying; the wings looked realistic too.

"You're going over to Namjoon's place, correct?" Yoongi says without losing focus. Seokjin walks to him and nods.

"Yeah. We're trying the mermaid tail out since I'm free today and tomorrow," he says, adjusting the strap of his bag. "I think he's going to do well."

Yoongi hummed. "Is it as great as my wings?" He presents his project and there is no doubt that he is confident.

Seokjin chuckles, "I wouldn't be the one to judge. But good luck because Namjoon seemed pretty competitive even though he tries not to show it."

Yoongi grins back, "Tell him to get ready because he's the one who started this competition."

Seokjin laughs and said his goodbye, continuing to walk to his friend's house. What Yoongi said is true; the project was never a contest. Namjoon just wants to do better than Yoongi and that's how this competition between the two started.