Chapter 19

It wasn't long until the islands leader led us to the main building. Although small, you would've never expected this discreetly draped tent-like-house to be where a leader handles business; but I guess it made some sort of sense.

Looking around the decently cramped place-which prompted a large quantity of our sailors to wait outside, I noticed the array of woven cloth and make-shift lanterns around us. The leader was sitting across us with two guards by her side. The guards were clad in chain mail hauberk and lamellar armor. Leather shields protected a part of them as well.

Only the king and I sat in the room with this woman.

"So, how can I be of aid?" She asked nonchalantly, resting her hands on her lap. We took a few moments to answer seeing that the current situations atmosphere was fairly off, but the king proceeded nonetheless. "Food, basic supplies, water. It might sound like a lot but if there need be a price-"

"Oūv Chömmuar."

An amused glance took over her whole countenance as she purred out those words. Not recognizing the language, I was about to ask her why she interrupted the king until she leaned forward and placed her chin in the palm of her hand. We stared in silence at the smug smile that played her cerise lips and the dull glint that sharpened those two pink hues.

For a second, I thought it was foolish that I actually kind of trusted her. But thinking again, if she were really a threat, all of our men would've been killed by now.

The woman soon ran a red painted fingernail over her matching lips, explaining, "If you're wondering, I just said sweetheart in my native language." Listening to her words, my eyebrows narrowed with confusion as I struggled to figure the woman out. Her face was made to look so innocent and benign, but we could both tell by now that that wasn't the case. "Surely you really didn't think I would've helped you so easily. Of course there was going to be a price darling."

The king straightened up a little more in his seat before continuing to listen. The woman leaned back and crossed her legs, grinning, "I have two things I've been needing for a long time. Get them to me and I'll consider your plea." With a frown now entirely on my face, I spoke up, "your majesty I object. Something's not right with her or this village." The king upon hearing my opinion, waited a moment before scooting forward in his seat towards the conceited leader. "Ask me a few questions, not only will I reply to them truthfully, but it'll help me in deciphering you and your intentions."

"Oh?" The woman let out a chuckle, amusement spilling from her every pore with a hint of pure enjoyment. "I'd never think to interrogate somebody that way. You're just full of surprises royal."

I looked back and forth between the two in bewilderment as I also fell into a state of shock by the kings decision. Forcing a bite back and keeping my trap shut, I watched the conversation roll before me.

"I've only seen sailors, no guards... do you harbor some back on your ship?"

"No, I have no guards with me on this journey. But the sailors despite their unarmored appearance, are actually on the same or higher combat level than the guards I have back home."

"Is this the first island you came across?"

"Yes."

"And despite being raided by bandits you trust me?"

"Yes."