Chapter 46

His olive skin shun smoothly under the running embers. From moment to moment, the flames will crack and twist, bending their light to a dance; some strict others gentle but never any less dangerous.

Jackson's silvery tones became noticeable and shimmered as though he just made way from spring rivers. Not exactly drenched yet sleek with wetness—-and a scent so rich I could feel the petals in my palms.

We traded warmth from the fire. Wiping our slick though sober chins back-handedly once the moon's rays hit our feet.

This ceremonial night kicked off after downing two oak mugs, quite large, heart-shapely carved and brimming with blood. Not to forget our platters which had been swept clean leaving only bone as remnants, as well as three adult skulls, sucked dry from the dome to their teeth.

We were full, relaxed, quiet...

Too quiet.

Jackson began his tongue after chipping a rib, chewing, "There'll be no one to wish us well upon our marriage."

Having little distance between us, I eyed his open legs guarding around mine. Either knee pointed outward while both his feet planted around the wooden stool 'neath me, heavy-weighted. Of course, the fact that both our parents are dead and most of Bumain fears us because of the Koiu name, not only that, I was a thief.

Those words reign true, Jackson and I have no one else aside each other.

Settling a sigh, my hands dug in between my fattening lap and I couldn't help but stare down in utter discomfort...

"I suppose so."

He surely didn't appreciate the way I was recessing myself. The behavior took course starting by Komaji's gates. Relief added weight to his longing gaze as I treaded the dirt path, up until the iron cried open and the guards allowed us passage; no doubt he noticed my lack of reply to all the conversation he'd been attempting to make and soon stopped—-enduring the quiet night back home.

Yes, cowardice is to be admitted. I've given my induratized heart for him to hold, all locked up and closed bearing 50 keys scattered not even in soil—-but past the skies. Knowing my best friend, he's the type to try and seize such heights no matter if it meant death.

He began to speak over the cackling fire, "I'm just so confused," his bass-full tone treaded over ice, no longer sweet but bitter and dry, "You won't talk to me... at all." With my view only consisting of our legs together and the seats we sat upon, I could feel my fingertips turn cold as he shifted his elbow over his thigh, leaning over to me.

His warm hand coated beneath my chin, lifting it up ever so gently, he let out a slow breath.

"You won't even look at me."

My eyes averted themselves to the fireplace, my body grew hot under his gaze and I could feel my muscles weaken with guilt.

"(Y/n)," he started, holding onto each side of my face softly, "Did something happen while I was gone? Did the king do anything to you?... to (D/n)?" Upon my dog's name, I quickly looked down to see the animal resting at his feet. It warmed me remembering how (D/n) lit up seeing Jackson again. Whimpering and barking in excitement—-he hasn't left his side since.

To answer his question, I shook my head no.

Oddly so, regret filed skywards as soon as I felt his palms loosen from their placement. Jackson was beginning to retreat. I took little time to think and snatched them back, keeping both exactly where they were. Such a feeling was it to have his large hands in mine. His massive fingers became rough with callous being a blacksmith, a lot of the times smut riddled, yet always gentle... always.