Chapter Seven

[this chapter is half in past-tense as Charlie reflects on what happened between chapter six and seven. just a heads up for the sudden tense change throughout!! it could get confusing and idk why i decided to write it like this but it is what it is <3]

"Shit, what's the time?"

Morning peers through the curtains. I blink, trying to decipher who spoke, but I'm still trying to wake up. With a grimace, I roll over and bury my face against Branson's chest. I blink. No, not Branson. Blake? The man groans, an arm dropping around me. No, not Blake.

...Bentley?

"Good morning," someone whispers. I lift my gaze to find Joe's, his eyes bright and twinkling in the morning sunlight. My body freezes beneath his arm, but Joe doesn't seem to notice. He smiles lazily down at me. Goose-bumps scatter across my skin and I attempt to roll away from him - only to pull up short when my back touches someone else's chest.

My breath catches. I glance over my shoulder to see Bentley and Sidney. They smile at me, and my heart thumps a little louder. Shirtless - how are they shirtless? I shiver beneath the cool air as it breezes in through the open window. Matthew stands there, opening the window wider and parting the curtains. Sunlight streams in, and I do the only logical thing.

I bury myself beneath the covers. I hold my breath and try to ignore my pounding heartbeat. Why did this... when did this... I try to recall what happened yesterday.

***

"You're safe," Matthew whispered, his hand wrapped tight around mine as he led me down the staircase. Bentley and Sidney followed right behind us, Joe ahead of us. Matthew's hand never one left mine, tight and warm and... and--

And safe.

Safe. The thought was nice. Left me feeling tingly, happy. Content, even if just for a moment.

Matthew wrapped an arm around my shoulders as he drew me to the kitchen bench, and I appreciated the strength that came from that one touch. Feeling that protected was foreign to me, but now it coiled deep in the pit of my stomach and I liked it. I liked having people to rely on, people to lean on. My throat swelled with emotion, but I swallowed it down as Matthew ushered me onto a stool and pressed a chaste, brief kiss to my temple.

The touch was gone before it was even really there, and suddenly my eyes burned as much as my throat. I tried to not gag on the lingering taste of vomit, tried to think about something else. But all I could think of was the fleeting touch. Was a touch like that simply supposed to be friendly, or...?

Bentley pulled the stool out to my left, and Sidney took the one to my right. Joe stood as a barrier behind me, and maybe if they were other people, I would feel threatened, tense. But instead I felt unimaginable amounts of ease. Matthew disappeared outside with a tray and returned shortly with bowls of soup and bread. He slid the food across the counter to Sidney, Bentley, and myself. Despite the nausea rolling in my stomach from earlier, and the burn at the back of my throat - my stomach growled. But I still didn't think I would be able to eat, and yet.

I assumed it was because of the men around me. Because of the calm they inflicted upon me. I swallowed the last mouthful of soup before I realised Joe no longer stood behind me, but instead leaned against the counter beside Bentley.

Their words were drawled, teasing. Like nothing was wrong, like I hadn't ruined their day.

Matthew poured five cups of tea ahead of me, and I gave myself a moment to look at him, to appreciate him. His shoulders were relaxed, and he moved with a kind of grace that made me envious. However, envious of what, I couldn't be sure. Matthew's eyes flickered to mine and I flushed to the tips of my ears.