25 - THE DARKNESS

Kris felt her place was a more suited location for Charlotte to meet Charlie. I had a feeling it was because both her and Kaleb, as well as Lacey, would be present the entire time we were there. In other words, there was no way Charlotte could hurt me if she were to lose control of her powers.

"You have a beautiful home, Mrs. Kross," Charlotte said with a smile.

"Why thank you, dear." Kris smiled.

You would think that Lacey smelled another child in her domain because she came bounding from the back room with a huge smile. Instantly grabbing onto Charlotte's hands and spinning her in circles.

"You must be Charlotte, I'm Lacey, it's nice to meet you," Lacey giggled.

Charlotte looked up at me and cocked an eyebrow. She had no idea the welcome she would get once she entered the Reapress' home.

"Yes. It is nice to meet you too," Charlotte answered in a dignified tone.

She looked ten, but she sure did not act like one. I had to stop myself from dwelling on what was happening. Priscilla had been the same way. For many years it had been just her and I, neither of us could keep a relationship for the life of us. That is until I met Mags. Charlotte had merely never been around another child, so she had no idea how she was supposed to act.

"How about you go to your room for a bit. I need to help Charlotte with a few things," Kris instructed once she noticed the unease spreading through Charlotte's body.

"I never get to be around for the fun stuff," Lacey replied with a pout. She gave Charlotte a wave and bounded off towards her room.

"My apologies. She is just excited to meet another kid." Kris said placing her hand on Charlotte's shoulder.

"I understand. I hope that she and I will grow to be fast friends," Charlotte replied with a smile.

"Should we get started?" I asked, trying to relieve the emotional tension in the room. As sweet as the conversation was, I could not bear to think any more of my daughter. I longed for her return, and I prayed that Charlotte would be able to get the answers I so longed for.

"Of course," Charlotte looked towards the stuffed cat.

"We should take a seat," I mentioned. I did not want to hand her the toy until I knew that we were safe enough just in case.

"Would the table work?" Kris asked.

"That would be perfect," I answered motioning for Charlotte to take a seat.

Once we were all seated around the table, I looked at Charlie and then at Charlotte.

"There are a few things that I think you should know," I began. "Charlie is a special spirit, to say the least. He will only speak when he feels it necessary. Which has been only twice since he came into my possession."

"He will speak," Charlotte reassured me as she reached out her hand.

I handed her the stuffed animal, and she looked at it fondly. She set it down in front of her and held her hands out for Kris and me. I was not sure what she was doing, the only way that I could connect with the animal was if I was holding it. Charlotte's gifts were starting to interest me more and more. There was something special about the girl. I was not sure what it was, but I felt that she would be essential in more than just the release of my daughter.

"Do you trust me?" she asked.

"Yes," I answered truthfully. I do not trust many, but I felt in this situation it was probably best that I give all my trust to the child.