~ Epoch Two: The Encapture ~

I've just split the first epoch into two parts to make them shorter :)
~

Realization struck instantly, and a perturbation roiled in her stomach as she looked over she see Jasper clutch at his injured shoulder, moonlit crimson running down his hand.

Jasper hissed and spat through his bare teeth, nostrils flaring as he glowered up at the Deputy, pain contorting his violently reddened face. "Bastard!"

Rosalie started to move protectively towards Jasper, her gun-wielding arm lifting to shoot, but stopped mid-motion, heart hammering erratically when she heard the Deputy's pistol cocked first, an obvious threat that kept her feet planted where they were.

But he'd already seen her pistol.

Not so foolish after all, Rosalie let herself think indigantly.

"Hold right there." The Deputy warned her, his dangerously unwavering voice slick with a Western accent. "Drop the gun."

Her brain reeled, desperately trying to conjure up an escape plan – but nothing transpired. She heard Jasper's growl of agony to her right and she unfurled her shaky grasp, letting the weighty pistol clatter to the dirt.

Rosalie slowly glanced up towards the Deputy and with her slightly lowered head. She knew he couldn't wholly see her face past the brim of her hat. She peered up, her snatched gaze locking with his eyes as a vivid flare of purplish silver lightning setting off the blazing cunning in her stormy eyes.

Neither she, nor the Deputy made a move, but his pistol was pointed for her chest and they both knew that should she move the consequential aftermath would be dire.

The saloon's doors swung open with a squealing whine behind Rosalie, and she closed her eyelids for a short moment, frustrated defeat pulsing in her throat. A leaden sigh parted her lips as the heavy clomp of footsteps thudded on the porch. "What's going on out here?"

If only Jasper hadn't pulled his gun... Rosalie stopped the disgruntled hindsight before it could unravel an anger she'd surely regret.

Rosalie masked her underlying panic with a fierce glare directed still at the Deputy, who spared a brief gander away from the girl to whoever stood behind her, and then back to the girl.

"Just some no-good bandits." The Deputy explained loosely, although he didn't quite know what they were or what their business in this quaint town was. He exchanged a look that seemed to say all these things, but Rosalie caught the uncertainty flicker across his face.

The other man gave a weary huff and made his way down the stairs, stepping out onto the street, yet Rosalie still didn't cast her pointed eyes away from the Deputy. "Get 'em inside before that storm gets any closer."

The Deputy hopped down from the porch and ambled over to Jasper. Rosalie watched tautly as her injured friend was hauled up by his arm and dragged through the doors of the Sheriff's station.

Before Rosalie could gather her composure to stalk after them, the unseen other man grasped the girl's arm to keep her from running.

She jolted and spun around to him with a gasp, eyes darting and full of wild, fearful ire.

An unsure surprise dawned over his face when he saw her young girlish features, but he quickly collected his wits and said nothing as he pulled her up to the Sheriff's Department after the Deputy and Jasper.

"Put 'em in different cells." The Sheriff said gruffly as he led Rosalie into the dimmed glowing light of the station. "I don't trust this one."

Rosalie's unrelenting stony glare stayed fixed as she was pushed forward into the barred cell, her tense muscles twitching as the door was slammed and locked behind her.

Her eyebrows furrowed indignantly further as a heavily anticipated rain began to sheet down over the town.

How was she going to get herself out of this one...

~
To make life easier I split the first chapter into two parts. I do long chapters for Forerunner, but I have 2 other draft stories I wanna publish soon and i wanna be able to have a writing schedule of all 4 stories, around school and work and everything at home. Hope that makes sense! ❤️
Would love you hear your feedback and ideas!