chapter one.

CHAPTER ONE.
the tapes.

it had been a few weeks since hannah baker's suicide occurred. bella tried to act like she was taking everything perfectly fine. they weren't friends, right? yeah, right.

went to school, hung out with the same douchebags she had her whole life, went to the same boring classes, and then went to the only good part of the day. cheer practice.

all the practices ended at the same time. so as jessica davis and bella basanni walked out of practice, they clashed with the basketball boys who had also just gotten out of practice.

montgomery, zach, bryce, justin and a few other guys all came over to the two brunettes. jessica went to give justin a hug, instead he pushed her away a bit, looking over at isabella.

"don't let me stop you" she throws her hands up in the air with a scoff and an eye roll as she turns the other way. she loved jessica. just like she loved hannah. and all because of a damn smile, isabella risked her friendships with both of them.

justin was always off limits when kat was still here, but bella never cared because she has still been crushing on zach dempsey just like she had her whole life.

the summer kat moved, things changed. and as the brazilian girl walked down the hallway towards the parking lot, her mind flashed back to the first day of sophomore year.

hannah didn't have many friends so bella walked her to school on the first day. bella was wearing a yellow tank top with a black skirt and black heeled boots.

before walking into school, they got an introduction from the one and only. justin and kat were the only ones that ever called her izzy. it was bella or isabella to everyone else.

"izzy! hey, wait up" the brunette heard the voice behind her and stopped with her friend text to her "you're hannah right?" he raised his eyebrow toward the girl next to her, earning a nod.

"what's up, justin?" isabella asked, before hannah could say anything.

"just wanted to come say hi to you girls. um so i'll see you around?" he asks both of them. and both of them have confused nods.

when justin smirked and walked away, both of the girls started chuckling. hannah started talking "so clearly justin foley likes you."

"me? he's known me since the 3rd grade, i think he's interested in you." hannah immediately shakes her head in disbelief. "c'mon, you're new, pretty, fun."

izzy did want to think of how weirdly great it would be if he liked her. she knew he was damaged, but he was good guy.

they herd the bell ring as they enter the school "well i'm off to chemistry, good luck with foley" isabella laughed and looked at hannah before heading to class.

the girl stepped back into reality as she got too her car, she sighed and thought about just how bad things got. so quick. she drove home and arrived within 10 minutes.

walking in, no one was home. usually both her parents would be home by the time she got off cheer practice. bella noticed a sticky note on the calendar on the fridge.

"we went off too dinner. eat something in the fridge. a package came for you and it's on your bed. - mom"

bella threw the note down before walking up to her room. she hadn't ordered anything online in a while. what could it be?

she opened it to see cassette tapes, all numbered in blue paint. "what the hell?" the only reason she even knew what a cassette tape was, was because she was so close to tony padilla.

observing them more, bella pulled out her phone. she had a few notifications and ignored them, going to tony's contact "red car driver"

tony answered with a quick "hey, isa. everything okay?" he asked. she usually texted people, she only called when something was up.

"hey, you listen to cassettes. i was wondering if i could borrow your walkman for a project?" bella found the cassettes quite suspicious and didn't want to tell anyone until she needed too.

"yeah, i'll stop by. i'm out and about anyways" tony responded, earning a grateful sigh from the girl on the other side of the call.

and he did, he stopped by 15 or so minutes later and knocked on the door. bella answered it, taking the walkman he was handing her. "thanks so much tony. i owe you one. ill give it back as soon as possible. promise" she smiled.

"no problem. good luck with that project" he nodded, she had no idea he knew exactly what project she was doing.

isabella went back up to her room, observing the map that came with the tapes has she put the headphones on and put the tape titled '1' in. and listened.

"hey, it's hannah. hannah baker."

her jaw dropped as she continued listening.

// there's chapter one. i hope you enjoy it. give feedback pls <3