Part 9 - The Last Refuge Of A Scoundrel (IX)

"I congratulate you on your wisdom," said Dr. Kang, smug as ever, as he answered the Captain's summons to her office.

He walked over to her desk but didn't take a seat.

"Have a seat, Dr. Kang," said Littlecrow.

"I prefer to stand," said Dr. Kang.

"Have a seat," the Captain repeated.

Dr. Kang sat.

"I stuck my neck out for you today, Doctor," said the Captain "I went against the advice of my crew and I protected you from what might well have been the hand of justice come to claim you."

"I assure you it was the machinations of evil conspirators," insisted Dr. Kang.

"I want to make something perfectly clear to you. From this day forward your existence on this ship, your very freedom even, is at my sole discretion. You and your precocious assistant are now completely reliant on my goodwill. I would advise you, therefore, not to abuse it."

"Whether I have ever done so is a matter of perspective-" began Kang.

"If you subvert my orders," continued the Captain "Compromise my ship, or otherwise pull anymore of your famous shenanigans you might find my goodwill withdrawn and yourself turned over to your enemies for general torture."

"I have to say that I find that to be both unsporting and macabre," said Dr. Kang "But I appreciate the sacrifices you're making in the name of the betterment of the species by protecting me. History will look very kindly on your actions today."

"I-" started the Captain, but she didn't have anything else to say.

She let the sentence hang.

* * *

McAfree sat at a table alone in the mess hall eating a messy pasta with obvious hunger.

That's where she was when Mitzner found her. The Lieutenant-Commander cautiously approached the table.

"Do you want to talk?" asked Mitzner.

"No," said McAfree, still chewing.

Mitzner placed her hand on the chair opposite McAfree.

"Can I sit here?" she asked.

McAfree shrugged, and continued to gracelessly guide noodles into her mouth with her fork. Mitzner watched her eat for a moment.

"I'm sorry you got sucked into all of Dr. Kang's bullshit," she said finally.

McAfree chewed her food very thoroughly, swallowed, took a sip from her drink, wiped her mouth, then replied.

"I chose to be part of Dr. Kang's bullshit," she said "His 'bullshit' is the life and death politics of the galactic ruling class."

She began to twirl more pasta onto her fork.

"All these warrants and declarations of asylum, they're just moves on an invisible chessboard. This is my world, and I knew exactly what I was getting into when I joined it. If you want to console the poor ingenue go find Wagner. I'm certain he'd be thrilled to be singled out for special attention."

McAfree had been spinning a ball of pasta at the end of her fork around for emphasis as she talked, and now she shoved it into her mouth.

McAfree continued to eat in silence. Mitzner didn't go anywhere.