Begining of the End

"I still couldn't believe you did that to Draco and me," Harry said from his place on the couch.

"Believe me, it tore me up on the inside when I did that. Most of the time I was scared I would find out from the Daily Prophet that you two were dead, or captured," Severus replied as he took a long sigh. Those months Harry, Draco. Hermione and Ron where out Horcrux hunting made him a panic wreck, but only in private. 

____

____

After Severus turned the corner the two boys looked to one another. Draco, giving Harry a determined nod turned on his heal and walked in the opposite direction of Severus towards the Headmasters office with Harry hot on his tail. The trip there was silent as the two boys climbed the stairs and enter the man's office. Everything was still and nothing out of place as if he just left for rounds about the castle and he wasn't lying dead at the bottom of the astronomy tower. Harry tried not to think about that as he walked behind the headmaster's desk and opened the top left drawer like his father told him to. There were only two things inside. A note and a ring.

Draco walked up to Harry when he saw the puzzled expression on his face. He too looked in the drawer and carefully pulled out the ring. It was a small thing, with a black stone in the center. Harry lifted up the note and unfolded it. Draco peeked over his shoulder and together they read the note. 

Dear boys,

Yes, I know Severus would have entrusted you two for this. I'm afraid by the time you are reading this I will be gone from this world. But I have a very important mission for you. Over the previous summer and the beginning months of the school year. I have been out collecting Horcruxes. The ring enclosed in this drawer is one of them. I'd advise you do not put it on. In this ring is a piece of Tom Riddle's soul. As long as the soul remains in there, Tom will never die. I have a small list of what I believe are Horcruxes, and I need you to obtain them. I pray the best and that you don't face many hardships on your journey. And remember, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light. 

- Albus Dumbledore

Draco and Harry stood there for a moment, amazed at the task that is now presented before them. The headmaster and Severus are trusting them with this. And if they complete it, then Tom Molloval Riddle will truly forever be gone from their world. Draco glanced down at the ring that remained in his hands. The black stone shown up at him, almost taunting him that the soul of a genocidal madman was staring up at him. He dropped the ring on the desk and almost gave a shiver at the thought that he was holding it in his hands. Harry meanwhile scanned the bottom of the note to find the list of the potential horcruxes. 

Nagini

Slytherins Locket

 T̶o̶m̶ ̶R̶i̶d̶d̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶D̶i̶a̶r̶y̶ 

Harry stared at the list questionable. Why was Tom's diary crossed out? Then it hit him. Literally. From the shelf behind him, Fawkes perched himself on a shelf a few feet above Harry and knocked the forgotten journal off and it hit him square in the head. He picked it up and looked at the hole that was ripped into the cover from where he had stabbed it with a basilisk fang in his second year. He had literally seen Tom's soul manifest itself before him and he had destroyed it. With a basilisk fang that had...

"Venom..." he said out loud.

"What?" Draco said as he turned to him.

"This diary, it used to be a horcruxe, but in my second year, down in the chamber of secrets, I used a basilisk fang, that still had venom in it, and stabbed the journal. That's what destroyed it. Basilisk venom can destroy the horcruxes," Harry told him. Draco just stared at him like he was nuts.