⍢ | 22

Iggy's stomach felt like it would explode at any given moment. He'd filled up on countless dishes ranging from fruit-filled pastries to creamy desserts made from the milk of animals he'd never even heard of before. The table he and Tenn shared looked like a castle of plates and glasses by the time they were done.

He made sure to savor every last bite. They wouldn't eat this well for a long time. Once they returned to the arena, it was back to the gross slop and stale bread he'd grown accustomed to.

His stomach knotted at the thought. Grimacing, he forced the thought out of his head. He wasn't in the arena—he was in Elysium Prime's palace, the crown jewel of the entire planet. The Elysian Games were an afterthought, for now, anyway. For as long as he was there, he'd do his best to enjoy himself.

That included avoiding Tenn until the time came for them to leave.

He didn't need the old man's negativity right now.

Following the commencement of dinner, Iggy decided to do some exploring. The palace had been opened to the public. He wandered out into an expansive balcony overlooking the now tranquil ocean wrapping around the cliff the palace had been built into. A few other Elysians stood about with drinks in their hands. Their tones lowered the moment he entered the space. Their eyes tracked him like lasers from a blaster rifle as he approached a sandstone banister chiseled with elaborate designs.

He tried his best to ignore the stares. Luckily, the view of the ocean was enough to seize his attention. He closed his eyes and inhaled the pleasant smell of saltwater rising from the waters hundreds of feet beneath him.

Novr didn't have much water. In fact, he couldn't remember ever seeing an ocean or lake anywhere. The last time he saw a body of water this big was on Yensari. Fuzzy memories of vermillion waves lapping onto sand whiter than sugar exploded throughout his brain like a bomb.

He smiled.

"Ahem."

The memory disappeared. He opened his eyes. The view, while magnificent, just wasn't the same. It wasn't home.

Suppressing the urge to sneer, he glanced at the pair of Elysians dressed in burgundy now standing next to him. A meekish android lingered beyond them with its head lowered.

"Er, can I help you?" Iggy asked.

"Ædard Au Taela," the one on the right—a stocky man with a bush of a mustache—said. He extended a ring-laden hand toward the Arigorii. "Beside me is my wife, Amæra Au Taela." The woman smiled brightly at him. Literally. The diamonds on her teeth nearly blinded him.

He nodded slowly at the pair. "Nice to, uh, meet you. I'm Iggorii Amrada. I go by Iggy."

"Oh, we know all about you, Iggy," Ædard said. "We've been following your progress throughout the games. Your fighting style leaves much to be desired, but you have a knack for coming out on top. You're a survivor. A champion—one we'd like to get behind."

Iggy's face brightened. "Oh, wow. Thank—"

"I'm sure you've heard of sponsors by now, yes?"

"I have, uh...Ædard?"

"Sir, if you will."

Swallowing hard, he nodded again. "Right. Sorry, sir."

Ædard beamed at his wife. "He even takes orders well! The analytics team was right to have us approach this one."

Amæra smiled. "He fits the Au Taela brand perfectly. Think about the merchandising! With his small frame and little ears, why, he almost looks like an elf from Troslore."