⍢ | 32

Jaxon's real ship—the Manta—was hidden on a beach. According to him, there wasn't a vessel in their galaxy faster. For their sakes, Iggy hoped the rebel wasn't boasting. They'd need everything the Manta had if they were to escape Elysium Prime and the Elysians' air defense mechanisms.

It took them about an hour to reach the outskirts of Sector Eleven. The district bordered one of Elysium Prime's four oceans, which sparkled like sapphires against a grey-blue backdrop. A dim overcast had taken hold of the sky, filling it with thick, pale clouds. There was no sign of Elysian aircraft. No alarms went off as they soared over skyscrapers in the city. Once they lost the ships around the arena, it was like they'd gone invisible.

Iggy knew cloaking wasn't an ability standard cargo ships had, though. They hadn't vanished. Anyone would've been able to see their massive form cutting through the sky.

So how had they made it to the beach unfollowed and unscathed?

The sound of the cargo ship's rear door disengaging pulled him out of his thoughts. Metal creaked and groaned as it opened. A platform extended from the end of the ship, reaching for the salt-white sand of the beach. Waves lapped onto the shore with a steady rhythm, the noise soothing Iggy's ears.

It reminded him of Yensari. Of home.

Once he got onto the Manta and fled the Elysium Sector, he'd be that much closer to returning to his mother and his homeworld. He fished into his pocket for his father's amulet. His fingers closed around the metal. He closed his eyes and let the memory of the man flood his brain. Then he opened them, returning to reality.

"Alright," Jaxon grumbled as he bundled down the ship's walkway. "Let's get a move on. This ship can't be tracked by those goons, but I'm sure we'll be spotted sooner or later."

Nodding, Iggy followed behind the man. Noia and Ace retrieved the half-awake Voltai from the ship before joining them outside. Otto—on all-fours—climbed out last. He grunted out something before switching to his two, slightly bent hind legs. He freed his twin blasters from his back and tightened his grip around the metal handles.

Jaxon readied his weapon as well. Iggy pursed his lips at them both.

"Do I get a gun?" he asked, his eyes settling on Voltai for a split second.

"What do you need one for?"

"Er, to defend myself? Everyone else has one."

Otto let out a few nonsensical grunts. The Ferrox didn't speak Galactic Standard, and Iggy wasn't privy to the creature's native tongue. Jaxon was, however, and grunted back at his co-pilot. Rolling his eyes, Otto waddled over to Iggy. He tossed him one of his guns, which the boy nearly dropped onto the sand.

Smiling sheepishly, he thanked him. Otto snarled a warning that likely translated to be careful with my stuff, kid.

Iggy studied the blaster. It was heavy and cold in his hand. Grooves and ridges decorated the black metal. A red light indicating the blaster's charge pulsed against the side and through the muzzle. The trigger caught the light of the sun peeking through the dense clouds.

Jaw clenched, he averted his eyes to Voltai behind him. The man's eyes were open now. He'd been gagged this time. His hair hung in his reddened face as Ace pushed him along.

He could've shot the emperor right there and then. It all would've been over in the blink of an eye. His fingers trembled slightly around the blaster's grip. What would the others do if he pulled that trigger? There was a chance they'd leave him behind to fend for himself against the Elysian soldiers who'd eventually find him. Jaxon's—and everyone else's—mission was to capture Voltai and bring him to Xonaru. If he ended the emperor's life now, the others would've risked their lives for nothing.