Star Clash by Vera Loy

"Then they came

"Then they came. Humans. They looked like us, walked like us, but never have such a brutal, bastard race existed ... We will fight. We will end them, or we will die trying."

In Vera Loy's science fiction anthology, a war threatens to annihilate two species; a mercenary travels to Avalon to fight zombies; and a crime-fighter chooses to cross the line, the line between right and wrong.

Featured Stories: Star Clash, Emerald Warrior, Io Colony, Black Death, Kaia, Crime Fighter, Guns and Guys.

Excerpt:

STAR CLASH

PROLOGUE

Irra, Vishna Star System

"We were arrogant, perhaps foolish but most definitely naive. Confidence in our defences was high and rightly so. As a highly evolved, technologically advanced race of beings, we have often—galactically speaking—been the target of foreign powers wishing to take our technology for themselves. We had always repelled such invaders though, without fail. Perhaps that is where the arrogance came from.

Perfectly happy in our tertiary star system, its thirteen life sustaining worlds more than sufficient to house our modest population of almost eighty billion, we thought we were untouchable.

Then they came. Humans. They looked like us, walked like us and the technology they possessed allowed them to talk like us. That is where the similarities ended. Never have such a brutal, bastard race existed and it is the sincerest hope of myself and every single surviving member of my species that never will such a race exist again.

Will we survive? I can no longer say for certain. Our cities are in ruins, our lands pillaged. Men women and children taken captive and put to work doing whatever their human masters demanded of them.

We will fight. We will do so for those of us that came before and for those of us that come after. We will fight not only for our species but for every other species. Humans are a stain on the very beauty of the Universe.

We will end them, or we will die trying."

Jax Naga (Council leader)

~~~

Mars, Sol Star System

"We are now in the sixth year of this damnable war.

By all rational criteria we have won, but the Gliesers won't admit it, they keep on fighting. Sometimes I think they will keep fighting until the last man, woman and child is dead.

They attack our ships, flaunt our laws and ambush those personnel sent to maintain peace, at every opportunity. Their acts of terrorism have forced us to destroy their cities and imprison those who resist us, planet by planet until they surrender. It is a huge cost to us in terms of resources, both human and material, but we have lost too much to give up now.

Much of Earth lies in ruins, whole cities washed away by the tsunamis, caused by the shift in the Moon's orbit. Perhaps we were arrogant, believing our defences around our home planet impenetrable—we were certainly mistaken. When the Gliesers attacked, they didn't attack the Earth with weapons as we expected, they targeted the Moon, moving the huge satellite into a new orbit with their technology. Just enough to cause chaos on Earth.

Many of us wanted to annihilate their race, obliterate them from the face of the universe. You will hear people say they look like us, talk like us, but... they do not act like us.

They are monsters."

John Nelson (Commander)

~~~

Author Bio

After thirty years of working with the unemployed, coping with threats, tears and broken lives (and these were only from fellow staff), Vera Loy decided it was time to make her escape. And what better place to go than the world of regency romance? She started writing her first novel, Regency Masquerade, years ago, but put it aside due to work and family commitments.

A couple of years ago, she dusted off the foolscap pages stored under her bed, finished the story and turned it into a book. Since then she has had a lot of fun writing short stories for various competitions. Star Clash is her second anthology.

Vera Loy lives in Adelaide, Australia, with her family and two cats. In her spare time she enjoys fishing and visiting the many local wineries.

You can visit her at - www.veraloywriter.com